Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gumdrops
    • Jun 2006

advice on new writer

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=385 border=0 valign="top"><TBODY><TR><TD class=Body-Headline colSpan=2>I am wondering if this would be a good writer for me to buy. I have a very old sony that I have been happy with, but it is outdated and can't keep up with the new media that is out there. any advice would be greatly appreciated. I would still be able to burn with the regular 4.7 media. right? Thanks

Sony 16x Internal Double-Layer DVD±RW/CD-RW Drive

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=Body-Small>Model: DRU-820A
    </TD></TR><TR><TD><SCRIPT>wS('1','15')</SCRIPT>
    </TD></TR><!-- E:07Y --><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=385 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Multiformat support for DVD+R/R DL/RW, DVD-R/R DL/RW, DVD-RAM and CD-R/RW media (dual-layer/double-layer drive with DVD-RAM)

• Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video on compatible DVD+R DL (double layer) and DVD-R (dual layer) media
    • DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media provide nearly double the DVD storage capacity of standard DVD media

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  • gumdrops
    • Jun 2006

my comp is an Intel celeron 1.80 GHz w/760 mb ram
    System Requirements Intel® Pentium® III 800MHz processor or faster; Windows 2000 Professional, XP Home or Professional Editions; 128MB RAM; 10GB free hard disk space

will it work?

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

gum what's the firmware on the old sony?

I don't like sony since they just rebrand drives

Comment

• geno888
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Dec 2005

If your concern is if a DL burner can still burn correctly single layer media, the answer is yes. All DL burners can write without problems single layer media. Be careful to buy only quality media, or writing results will be poor, but this is true for any burner.

If you are interested in RAM media, maybe you can consider to buy latest LG burner, H20 if I remember correctly, because it is able to burn RAM media @12x. Obviously are necessary 12x certified RAM media, very hard to find right now, but they should be available soon.

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

that sony is interesting, it's a benq 1670 which may be a teac.
          no scanning or benq firmware support tho

Comment

• geno888
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Dec 2005

A good reason to avoid it

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

more like a souped up DQ70, awful pretty burns even on dual layer

Comment

• gumdrops
                • Jun 2006

Ok well maybe I should buy the nec3550A. they have it on egg for 34.99 w/free ship. as long as the celeron 1.80 GHz is good enough. I am not concerned about speed as long as it is a good burn.
                one more ? what exactly is OEM? Ty

Comment

• dmanshead
                  Consequence is a bigger word than you think, it's bigger than you or me
                  • Dec 2005

Original equipment manufacturer, you might also consider a BenQ DW1655, I just bought a BenQ DQ60, and the NEC you mentioned both are good burners. The DQ60 is another one made by Teac, no scanning capabilties, but it does RAM. Here's anpther you might consider a Pioneer 111D.
                  If you use these forums you will not have to face that...
                  Long Live Foamy!!!

My burners Nec ND 3550A, Benq DQ60, Liteon SHW P6S, 2 Sony AW_Q170A's (free with my new system) and JLMS XJ-HD S.

Comment

• gumdrops
                    • Jun 2006

thanks alot I will look them over. I really appreciate your opinions.

Comment

• dmanshead
                      Consequence is a bigger word than you think, it's bigger than you or me
                      • Dec 2005

I think the OEM's come with less software than the retail. I know that with the DW1655, which I will purchase shortly the OEM has nero included and the retail adds BenQ's Qsuite, which if you wanted and you would, you can download from their site.
                      If you use these forums you will not have to face that...
                      Long Live Foamy!!!

My burners Nec ND 3550A, Benq DQ60, Liteon SHW P6S, 2 Sony AW_Q170A's (free with my new system) and JLMS XJ-HD S.

Comment

Working...