Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • juliart
    • Jul 2006

NEC ND-3550a DVD burner problem

I have a NEC ND-3550a DVD burner. It is for internal installation. I purchased an exterior case so I could use it with my notebook computer and my Dell PC with the USB connection.

I cannot get it to burn a DVD for video. It will burn a Data DVD and CD's fine. It will play a DVD movie also. I called NEC and they told me they can not help me to get it to work with the USB connection as it is an OEM and won't work unless it is in the PC internally and set up as a slave. They also said that some people have gotten it to work with the USB but won't tell me how to do it. Is there someone that can tell how to get this to work?
  • floresdave
    results may vary
    • Mar 2006

So you can't burn a movie can your rip the movie to your hard drive. what error are you getting.

My best guess is that you need to check your dma settings in you device manager and make sure you are running dma if available.

FAQ: What's all this about DMA? - Digital Video Forums

If this isn't the problem write me back. I have a spare 3550A sitting right here and an enclosure in my closet, but don't really feel like putting it together unless i have to.

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

what exactly are you doing to burn a video dvd?

Comment

• juliart
        • Jul 2006

Still no answer

I checked the DMA settings and there are what you said, OK, so it must be something else. I was told that I may need a codec code. Don't know anything about that. I am using Nero and Sonic to burn.

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

have you ripped the video files to your hard drive, do they play with a software player?

Comment

• juliart
            • Jul 2006

NEC Drive failure

No, I have not tried to rip it to the hard drive. I will try it tonight and see what happens.

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

user error

always rip and decrypt to hard drive first
              movies are protected, you have to remove that protection and process before you can burn

Comment

Working...