Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • juanito2006
    • Jul 2006

pioneer DVR A06 and Ritek Ridata 4X DVD-RW

I am still new at burning. I have bought a lot of Ritek Ridata 4X DVD-RW to burn some files on my Pioneer DVR A06. I tried burning the files but when I use Nero the "burn" button is greyed out. I can use the Ritek Ridata 4X DVD-R discs with no problem. I use Nero 6.6.0.14 Enterprise edition.

I updated the firmware of the burner to 1.08a but I still get the greyed out "burn" button.

I heard something about older burners needing a high speed patch or something to use the faster,newer disks but there was no detailed explanation or solution.

Can someone please help? Any ideas are much appreciated.
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

Welcome to the <a href="http://forum.digital-digest.com/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_new_faq_item" target="_blank">Digital Video Forums</a> juanito2006!

That burner only supports 2.4X DVD-RW disc's. While it should work, that might be the problem.

My recommendation is to try a different brand/speed rated disc.

Comment

• juanito2006
      • Jul 2006

Thanks for the welcome.
      And thanks for the recommendation. If there is no other solution I will use another brand on my burner. Any recommendations from people who have used that burner?

I still would like to use these disks I bought. Any solutions please?

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

you'll need to buy a new burner, I looked, you have the latest firmware and nobody else has patched it.

stay with 8x dvd-r if possible

hard to find

surprised you found 4x

Comment

• jmet
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2002

What happens when you hit "Ctrl+B" in Nero ? (right before you are ready to burn)

Comment

• juanito2006
            • Jul 2006

Originally Posted by jmet
            What happens when you hit "Ctrl+B" in Nero ? (right before you are ready to burn)

I get a sound that is all.

Comment

• jmet
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2002

You get sound? What kind of sound? A "Ding" noise?

Comment

• juanito2006
                • Jul 2006

Originally Posted by Chewy
                you'll need to buy a new burner, I looked, you have the latest firmware and nobody else has patched it.

stay with 8x dvd-r if possible

hard to find

surprised you found 4x
                Actually I use 8X DVD-R (cannot find 4X anymore). ASnd that is what surprises me. I can use 8x DVD-R on my burner that is supposed to be 4X maximum. I can burn CD-Rs that have much speed than my burner. But I cannot burn DVD-RW that exceed my burner maximum?

Comment

• juanito2006
                  • Jul 2006

Originally Posted by jmet
                  You get sound? What kind of sound? A "Ding" noise?
                  yes, like an error sound.

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

But I cannot burn DVD-RW that exceed my burner maximum?
                    It's not the speed of the disk or the speed of the burner, it's the burner's firmware(brains) doesn't support the mid code(media identification) for the new dvd-rw blanks. If pioneer drops support for your burner, they are telling you to buy a new one. It's a conspiracy.

Comment

• juanito2006
                      • Jul 2006

It's not the speed of the disk or the speed of the burner, it's the burner's firmware(brains) doesn't support the mid code(media identification) for the new dvd-rw blanks. If pioneer drops support for your burner, they are telling you to buy a new one. It's a conspiracy.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters....ist=2#comments

Thanks Chewy. I understand.

So, as it seems that I need a new burner I would appreciate some help from you experts.
                      I love my Pioneer and would be inclined to get another one. Which one do you recommend? Or is there another one from another manufacturer that is much better?
                      I have always used Ritek disks and have never had problems. Can I use -R and -RW Riteks and the drive you recommend? Or should I switch to Taiyo Yuden if they are compatible with my new burner?

Comment

• Chewy
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2003

the pioneer 111 is a very good burner and should see most any name brand media, very good dual layer burner, maybe the best ever.

Be prepared to flash the firmware, that's part of the game, get used to it.

The burner may have been made 6 months ago and firmware updated twice since then.

Comment

• juanito2006
                          • Jul 2006

the pioneer 111 is a very good burner and should see most any name brand media, very good dual layer burner, maybe the best ever.

Be prepared to flash the firmware, that's part of the game, get used to it.

The burner may have been made 6 months ago and firmware updated twice since then.
                          Thanka again Chewy. I will look for the 111. I trust Pioneer. What about lightscribe drives. Are they worth it?

Ritek or Taiyo?

And finally, what probably seems like a really stupid question but I am new. What do you mean by "flash the firmware"?

Comment

• copyless
                            Digital Video Expert
                            Digital Video Expert
                            • Apr 2006

Newegg has the 111 for like $38.00 shipped, which is the best price I could find, I searched last night and ordered one from them.

Comment

• Chewy
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2003

Ritek or Taiyo?
                              that's like asking which tastes better margarine or butter?

ritek's you loan to idiot brother in laws, Taiyo Yuden you put away for safe keeping and never let anyone else even touch

What do you mean by "flash the firmware"?
                              upgrade the firmware of your drive

Comment

Working...