Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • heyjude85023
    • Dec 2005

dvd burning complete confusion

i am trying to learn to take captured video and make dvds that will play on my pc but primarily on my stand alone dvd player.

i have a variety of software both freeware and paidware. they all say they take captured video and turn it into a dvd and all i need is a dvd burner.

ok, my confusion is because i am used to backing up my dvds. i take the dvd. i run it through dvddecryptor (or dvdfab), do any necessary cleanup. run it through dvdshrink and then burn the .iso to disc with imgburn. i have gotten pretty good at knowing what things look like at the various stages.

so now i think i will start making my own movies and burning them to dvd. i take the captured video (in various formats depending on the hardware used) and run it through the various programs. and out come a variety of formats even though i always choose the "save as dvd" funtion.

i get .mpg (mpeg-2) files .vob files (not recognized by dvdshrink) to name the 2 most recent attempts. i have looked in the help sections for all of the software and it all only says to burn the file to dvd. how? i thought only .iso files burned directly to disk. and i can't find any instructions on how to take a .mpg or .vob file and put it on a dvd-r so that my dvd player will recognize and play it.

and when i try to use several steps to take the .mpg file to an .iso file, by the time i get it burned, the audio is out of sync.

what am i doing wrong?
  • SMEG
    • Mar 2006

Have you tried using nero vision express or using ulead video studio to capture edit and burn to a dvd

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

nero and the new imgburn take video files and burn to dvd, but they need to be compliant first

Comment

• heyjude85023
        • Dec 2005

i thank you both for your replies, but you are telling me no more than the instructions on the software that i am using.

“take the file and burn it to dvd”

if i make a .vob file with videoredo, will nero vision express take that .vob file and burn it to a dvd that will play in my phillips dvd player? or do i have to run that .vob file through some other software that will turn it to an .iso that i can use imgburn to burn to dvd.

i am only familiar with burning .iso files with imgburn. i do notice that it will take a variety of files, just not the .vob i get from videoredo or the .mpg i get from ulead.

(i have all 4 of the software applications i listed: imgburn, nero vision express, ulead and videoredo)

i think my confusion is because every dvd burning tool i have used in the past has asked for an “image” file, which i associate with .iso and .img files.
        Last edited by heyjude85023; 15 Aug 2006, 07:46 AM. Reason: nasty mess when cut and paste from msword

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

take vision express and make a dvd video,
          1 out put to hard drive and burn with imgburn2
          or
          2burn with nero

Comment

• heyjude85023
            • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by Chewy