Staples DVD-R......any good???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • berdman
    • Apr 2006

All said, in "most" cases you never know what your getting until you open the pack and read who the manufactor is , just because you bought TKD or Maxcell doesn't mean it 1st class media. You wouldn't believe how many I returned.

Originally Posted by camellote
    In my experience, DigitalFaq's list is not accurate. It's OK as a starting point, but only that. The BestBuy Verbatim that Berdman mentions, the -R are MCC 03RG20 and the +R are MCC004 (both are very good), and they are frequently on sale at BB, OfficeDepot, OfficeMax or Microcenter for $13-$15 per 50-disk spindle.
    If you shop around you'll find great bargains. Last month I bought several packs of Verbatim 16X -R @ $8 per 50-disk spindle. I also got Sony 16X +R @ $5 per 100-disk spindle.

Regarding the MCC 01RG20 media that berdman mentions, the only ones that you might find are the Verbatim Digital Movie disks, and those are usually $13 per 25-disk spindle (I have not seen DataLifePlus 4X recently).

Comment

• locoeng
      Who Farted?
      • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by berdman
      All said, in "most" cases you never know what your getting until you open the pack and read who the manufactor is , just because you bought TKD or Maxcell doesn't mean it 1st class media. You wouldn't believe how many I returned.
      A good rule of thumb is to look for "Made in Japan" on the label...the exception to this would be Verbatim.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
      Walt Kelly

Comment

• ReplicantRoy
        Replicant
        • Sep 2005

In my experience, Staples brands have given me the most coasters out of any other generic brand. Very poor quality, IMHO. Lowest grade CMC's.

It's better to spend a little more for better quality.

Originally Posted by ahill84006
        I am a newbie at burning. I recently purchased (2) 50pk 16 x DVD-R from Staples. Are these things any count? Should I just use them for other things besides movies, and purchase some different ones?

My DVD's... seriously.
        http://www.mediachest.com/users/ReplicantRoy/dvds.html

Comment

• MRPINKERTON
          • Mar 2006

Over the last 4 months I have gone through 1 100 pack of Sony, and 100 Maxell 16x -r with 12% failure on each. That is horrible for such namr brand companies. 12 disks each in the trash.

Comment

• camellote
            • Dec 2006

Coasters are the end result of several factors: media + burner + firmware. You also have to take into account the speed you're burning dvds, your computer memory & free resources.

Now, regarding Staples media, I wouldn't buy their 16X disks at any price (but that's only my opinion)

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

if you dot your i's and cross your t's, you can burn most blanks with less than a 1 or 2 percent faliure ratio, of course in 6 months those playable disks may degrade to the point they are hard to read

doing everything right with premium media give years not months of back up
              security

Comment

• AlienX69
                Interstellar Traveler
                • Feb 2005

Originally Posted by Chewy
                doing everything right with premium media give years not months of back up security
                I'll second that ....

Many years before getting into the DVD recordables, I had someone at job backup some IMPORTANT data to CD's (cheapo's). I didn't know and obviously the IT Group didn't understand quality media (they supplied the discs). The dye peeled right of the plastic ..... horror .... I was luckly and retreived about 90% of the data off the 7-8 discs.

So when I starting doing DVD backups I knew media was a VERY important key !!! Started off with TY's and Ritek's, all TY's now. Did a lot of research before making my 1st backup.

Regards,
                AX
                Last edited by AlienX69; 7 Feb 2007, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• gonwk
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Dec 2005

Hi ahill,

I suppose you have gotten your answer ...

I was wondering which dvd burner are you using? And can it bitset?
                  Because some of the burners are picky and will not work too well with various DVD blanks.

If your DVD burner can bitset then I would go with DVD+R's to bitset as DVD-ROM for most compatibilty ... but they tend to be pricier than DVD-Rs.

If you trying to keep to reasonable price then go with DVD-R's ... but as mentioned above get Verbs or Taiyo ... IF you want to archive for a long, long time.

G!

Comment

Working...