X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

A Big Heads UP

There's always been some controversy over scandisc vs disk quality in cdspeed in regard to playability.

I had to wait for the right crap disk to come along for any direct evidence.

My toshiba standalone is starting to be a little finicky and last night when watching a new burn I did, twice the movie had heavy artifacts, might have tried to stutter, but only slightly.

As you can see the scandisc and disk transfer tests are perfect, however
    the disk quality graph shows these Fujifilm/prodisc(one of verbatim's makers)
    are crap!

I see no other way to interpret the data.
    Attached Files
  • Gary D
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2005

Chewy, which burner burned the disc?

EDIT: Nero CD/DVD speed is now 4.7.0.0
    Last edited by Gary D; 14 Jan 2007, 11:35 PM. Reason: Nero
    Gary D

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

I have done so many tests with these durn disks I don't remember, I was playing around with a title that my kids(older teenagers) would trash and
      copied it to my other computer as another test. From what I can tell it was more an issue of media inconsistency, than which drive? Some disks scanned
      30 with POF's, others up to 80-90.

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

If you can't get verbatims on sale buy the sony MIT
        Attached Files

Comment

• nwg
          Left *****
          • Jun 2003

I still can't be bothered with these tests. They are a waste of time imo. I have had perfect burns with no errors and get quality scans as low as 5%. Every disc has played 100% in every DVD player and DVD recorder I have (9 in total atm). Some of the discs are over three years old. I have never used crap discs (not had a single coaster) so, how can the scores be so low?

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by nwg
            I still can't be bothered with these tests. They are a waste of time imo. I have had perfect burns with no errors and get quality scans as low as 5%. Every disc has played 100% in every DVD player and DVD recorder I have (9 in total atm). Some of the discs are over three years old. I have never used crap discs (not had a single coaster) so, how can the scores be so low?
            9 players?! i have 4 and consider myself a high-roller!

anyway i think this all a bunch of malarky too, but it's a different branch of the hobby in itself IMO.
            "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
            Columbo moments...
            "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
            "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
            (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• nwg
              Left *****
              • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by LT. Columbo
              9 players?! i have 4 and consider myself a high-roller!
              Ranging from £20 to £400. I have four in one room.

I just think some people get carried away with it.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                Demigod of Digital Video
                • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by nwg
                Ranging from £20 to £400. I have four in one room.

I just think some people get carried away with it.
                holy shnikies, i bet that's not even counting dvd-roms/dvd-writers
                "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                Columbo moments...
                "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• BR7
                  He is coming to your little town!
                  • Aug 2005

@nwg
                  If it wasn't for these tests I wouldn't have known about my crappy PSU

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• Dan
                    Digital Video Master
                    Digital Video Master
                    • Dec 2005

Great test Chewy! I have found similar results when testing low grade media.

The scan disk just seems to look for some major flaw on the disk surface, while the Disk Quality shows possible and definite problems with the disk.

@ LT

You got it right, it is a different branch of the hobby, but I think there is relevance in most of the tests. Not to mention peace of mind when I see my burn isn't a piece of crap after all the money and time I just put into it,lol.

Comment

• Chewy
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2003

You have to learn to interpret all these tests, it's as much an art as a science. I had one scan of the first fuji I burned and it gave me a zero for a hellacious spike, when I repeated in the nec 3540 it was a 40 or 50, I scanned in the benq and it was a little better.

Comment

• Dan
                        Digital Video Master
                        Digital Video Master
                        • Dec 2005

Yeah I agree, you can get different results with different burners/scans.

The only sure thing I have found is if you have a great burn with great media, it will show in the tests.

If you burn with the cheapest media you can find, it will show!

When I test FUJI disks I notice that PRODISK is awful, but RITEK usually shows an acceptable burn.
                        Last edited by Dan; 15 Jan 2007, 01:23 PM.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                          Demigod of Digital Video
                          • Nov 2004

anyone know when the electron microscope will be used for scanning?
                          Columbo moments...

Comment

• Dan
                            Digital Video Master
                            Digital Video Master
                            • Dec 2005

Not sure LT, still trying to get my Oscilloscope to read my burns but all I get are wavy lines, LOL.

Comment

• nwg
                              Left *****
                              • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by LT. Columbo
                              holy shnikies, i bet that's not even counting dvd-roms/dvd-writers
                              Its my home cinema/TV room aka as my bedroom. If I count my computer it goes up to 6 (2 DVD writers).

Comment

Working...