• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JakeBlues
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • Dec 2006

This is CRAP media isn't it?

I bought TDKs because they were suppose to be good!?
    They were in the 1st class media section of the media guide...

So I get these TDKs home and look at the code that I see...
    Physical Format Information (ADIP):
    Disc ID: CMC MAG-M01-00
    Book Type: DVD+R
    Part Version: 1
    Disc Size: 120mm
    Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
    Number of Layers: 1
    Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
    Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
    Track Density: 0.74 um/track
    First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
    Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,491,711
    Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0
    Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
    Disc ID: CMC MAG-M01-00
    Book Type: DVD+R
    Part Version: 1
    Disc Size: 120mm
    Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
    Number of Layers: 1
    Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
    Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
    Track Density: 0.74 um/track
    First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
    Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,491,711
    Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

LAST TDKs I got had the TTK/TTG code...

WHERE DID I GO WRONG? I use what I can, Blutach saw the CMC code in the memorex i was using so I stopped. WE do not have verbatim or TAYIO YUDEN
    dealers here ( I live in the mtns of rural North Carolina) but I thought TDKs were a name a could trust? SAYS SO ON THE GUIDE.

sighs...
    ElwoodsBrotherJake "...I'm on a mission from God, to help me and others from making coasters!
  • katzdvd
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Feb 2006

CMC Mag media = bad, IMHO. You can purchase TY & Verb. media online several places. I can't buy good stuff where I live in rural PA, either.

Links to a few good online retailers that many users on this forum buy from:

Offers Tapes and Discs, as well as Disc Packaging.

I have purchased from all 3. & the mid code has always checked out on the media that I purchased from them.

I would try to return the TDK's. I have returned opened packs of media locally before, if nothing else you will get a store credit.

Good Luck!
    Regards, katz
    Last edited by katzdvd; 1 Feb 2007, 08:31 AM.

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

when I am gambling on an unknown mid I go here and plug in tdk, dvd+r and
      16x

since most of the hits were cmc mags I would then look at the latest

which burner and firmware means a lot

Comment

• JakeBlues
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        • Dec 2006

Consumer relations at TDK...

They have a number in Garden City, NY amd I called and asked hem about the CMC MAG tag and why after just a few weeks go why the MEDIA TAG had changed (mfg by diff company) what the hell was going on, and that I noticed a change in quality, now I know that name TDK means NOTHING!
        On the link http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm if you read it, it puts TDK in the first rate media class. I guess THIS MUST BE OUT DATED!
        Sad thing... until you get them home, you never know!
        DO NOT BUY TDK MEDIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        But thank you for the online store links.. I'll get some there soon, but where the heck do you get the TAIYO YUDEN here in the states? Blu says it's good quality but I swear I've been in DVD/CD sales for just under 20 years and I've been a pro cook all my life and I've never seen the name, what name to do find them under on the label? (maxell or brandname or something else?)
        OK thanks for the input... Peace and chicken grease!!!!!!!!
        ElwoodsBrotherJake "...I'm on a mission from God, to help me and others from making coasters!

Comment

• soup
          Just Trying To Help
          • Nov 2005

One brand they are under is Sony 1X - 8X 50 pack spindle, Made In Japan. They will have an octagonal foam protective ring inside. Otherwise it is a case of googling.

Comment

• JakeBlues
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            • Dec 2006

Whoa dude...

Originally Posted by katzdvd
            CMC Mag media = bad, IMHO. You can purchase TY & Verb. media online several places. I can't buy good stuff where I live in rural PA, either.

Links to a few good online retailers that many users on this forum buy from:

Offers Tapes and Discs, as well as Disc Packaging.

I have purchased from all 3. & the mid code has always checked out on the media that I purchased from them.

I would try to return the TDK's. I have returned opened packs of media locally before, if nothing else you will get a store credit.

Good Luck!
            Regards, katz
            You were NOT KIDDING!!
            I have NEVER seen such a place on line! This is so cool!
            We have tools here at digital-digest but for a dang on line store.. they sure give a person ALL THE INFO!! huh? example: http://www.supermediastore.com/begin...corner.html#a1
            That is too cool... I am going to take the "crap" media back to radio shack and if they don't accept the opened package back as damaged or faulity I'll throw them all over over the store before I leave. Super media store also has free shipping. (snoopy dance)
            Honestly.... I've lived here in the rural mtns of NC for almost 3 years, I have NEVER locked my doors, or dodged gunfire, or worried about getting carjacked or my wife's safety going to and from the store or any of the silly things that big city people worry about.. but dang, when I look for decent quality media.. wish I was back there in a big city if only for a sec... heh
            Thanks for all the links..
            they really are cool and helpful and good to know that taiyo-yuden can be purchased here in the states. Thank ya bro...

Comment

• JakeBlues
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              • Dec 2006

Originally Posted by soup
              One brand they are under is Sony 1X - 8X 50 pack spindle, Made In Japan. They will have an octagonal foam protective ring inside. Otherwise it is a case of googling.
              ..Brother Soup I must ask this... "One brand they are under is Sony 1X - 8X 50 pack spindle, Made In Japan. They will have an octagonal foam protective ring inside." ok do you mean these are from CMC? I have used sony in the past with good results but they are NOT always on hand here.
              Just asking for educational reasons... (So I can make an educated decision)
              ..Thank you friend

Comment

• Gary D
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by soup
                But only the made in Japan.

I have clear out all local stores with MIJ and they are being replaced by Made in Taiwan. This is one time it takes the little extra time to find the right country of origin. One is great (TY) and the other...well Sony D11: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia.ph...+or+List+Media
                Gary D

Comment

• katzdvd
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Feb 2006

You were NOT KIDDING!!
                  I have NEVER seen such a place on line! This is so cool!
                  We have tools here at digital-digest but for a dang on line store.. they sure give a person ALL THE INFO!! huh? example: http://www.supermediastore.com/begin...corner.html#a1
                  They are the best!
                  I am going to take the "crap" media back to radio shack and if they don't accept the opened package back as damaged or faulity I'll throw them all over over the store before I leave.
                  Don't be too hard on 'em, they probably aren't educated in good media/burning either.
                  In fact, why not point them to forum.digital-digest.com before you leave

One more thing: when you do get good discs, don't crap them up with "stick-on labels! Most folks here use sharpies or opt for the printable media.
                  (epson r220 printer or similar)

Good Luck!
                  regards, katz

Comment

• NightTran
                    King of Digital Video
                    King of Digital Video
                    • Aug 2005

I dont think that they are really crap medias, if you have right burner and firmware you still can burn them but do not keep it only lend to your friends so even they not return they still go bad after a while
                    sigpic

Comment

• JakeBlues
                      Digital Video Enthusiast
                      Digital Video Enthusiast
                      • Dec 2006

hehe cool bro

Originally Posted by katzdvd
                      They are the best!
                      Don't be too hard on 'em, they probably aren't educated in good media/burning either.
                      In fact, why not point them to forum.digital-digest.com before you leave

One more thing: when you do get good discs, don't crap them up with "stick-on labels! Most folks here use sharpies or opt for the printable media.
                      (epson r220 printer or similar)

Good Luck!
                      regards, katz
                      I learned a LOOOOOOOOOONG time ago when CD labels came of age and I kept them in a cold/hot car, these things are crap.. so I use sharpie's! I bought a 10 pack of diferent colored ones a few months and with my BS art talent I can live with em! hehehe ^5 bro.
                      Last edited by JakeBlues; 1 Feb 2007, 03:30 PM. Reason: ..I'm dummmmmmmmmmmb

Comment

• JakeBlues
                        Digital Video Enthusiast
                        Digital Video Enthusiast
                        • Dec 2006

THE Sony I bought last time (SONY +R) I have ZERO playback problems... these TDK I recorded 2 today and BOTH have digitilazation (spelling) and bad places. I think they are coasters right ou of the box. Maybe TDK stand for These Damn Koasters?! hehe (All joking asides, with all soup's, blu's and chewy's help I have been doing great) but these disc show their poor workmanship.
                        Peace

Comment

• soup
                          Just Trying To Help
                          • Nov 2005

These Damn Koasters
                          Good one.

Comment

Working...