• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ~kev~
    PMAGNVS
    • May 2007

Gray boxes on TV with Nero

Hello everyone.

I am using Nero Vision 6, the express version. I am at work right now so I can not give the exact version. I can tell you the software is fully patched from Nero.com's website. I downloaded and installed the most recent patches last week.

Using our Sony digital camera, my wife and I have taken some family videos and would like to burn them on DVD. The files start out as a bunch of small mpeg's. Using Neros, create a movie software, these smaller videos are combined into larger file, say less then 10 - 20 megs each.

Then using Neros "make DVD - DVD video" option, the mpegs are added to the DVD. The encode and burn process goes through ok, with no errors. When we view the DVD on our TV, there are gray boxes all over the screen. These gray boxes look like huge pixels.

In another attempt, I exported the mpeg files to a MP4 file, and burned the DVD from that file. The gray boxes were still there.

When I view the DVD on my computer, the gray boxes are gone. Instead, the audio has an echo to it. It sounds like everyone is talking inside a cave.

The DVD's I using are Maxell brand.

System stats:
    Windows 2000 fully patched
    AMD 3200+ 64bit
    1 gig patriot memory
    2 hard drives - one 80 gig IDE and one 160 Hitachi Deskstar SATA 2.

The videos files are on one hard drive and during the merge process, they are saved to the second drive.

So far I have made about 6 coasters because of this problem.

Can someone PLEASE point me in a good direction?
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

the best way to do this is save to hard drive and then play the dvd compilation/encode from there and verify sound and video works

then burn manually with nero, that gets a burn log that is easier to analyze

I am guessing your burner and blanks aren't very good and your standalone player may be a little off

post a nero burn log

maxell disks are usually lower quality

Comment

• ~kev~
      PMAGNVS
      • May 2007

Thank you for the reply.

Here is a link the my DVD burner. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16827151136R

Is there a chance that slowing down the burn rate will help fix the problem? The burn rate is set to max in Nero, and if I am using 4X blanks (not sure what they are) could this cause the problem?

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

if they are rw's that might explain a lot

you'll need to do some test burns with other blanks

the newer samsung's are good burners

do the burned dvd's play fine in the samsung burner?

maybe your standalone hates them

Comment

• ~kev~
          PMAGNVS
          • May 2007

if they are rw's that might explain a lot
          Nope, these are DVD-R, not DVD-RW

you'll need to do some test burns with other blanks
          Gonna pick some up on the way home from work.

do the burned dvd's play fine in the samsung burner?
          The burner plays the video ok, but it has a clear "echo" to the audio. The echo is not on the source files, its only after the video is encoded and burned on the DVD.

maybe your standalone hates them
          Two different DVD players were used, one in the living room and one in the bed room - both are different brands, both have the gray boxes all over the screens.

I will take your advice, and save the file to disk instead of burning directly. Then I can open the file and listen for the echo. Plus I am going to pick up some different brand name DVD's. Right now I am using Maxell, so I will buy something else.

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

verbatim dvd+r bitsett and burned no faster than 8X

Comment

• ~kev~
              PMAGNVS
              • May 2007

sony

Picked up some Sony 1 - 16X at wal-mart on the way home. The DVD will not play in magnavox player but will play in an emerson. Playing the DVD in my computer results in no sound.

Attached is the log file for the most recent burn. The audio was set to stereo instead of dolby, the burn speed was set to 8X.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

Video mode: PAL
                in east texas

output should be ntsc for usa

Comment

Working...