Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdemaris
    • Mar 2007

DVD burner won't burn Windows 98SE

I've got a spare, older computer with Windows 98SE on it. It works fine burning CDs, but I have not been able to get a DVD burner to work in it.
    I've installed three so far, and all read fine - but all lock up the computer when shifting over to write-mode. First two were - Samsung SH-S182 and a HP940i

With the first two new burners that I tried - I found out later they are rated for XP and Vista only - so I figured it was my stupid mistake. So, I just bought a new Light-On DH20A4P that is advertised as being Windows 98 compatible. I installed it - and it does the same thing as the others. I tried copying a movie - and the copy process went fine. When it was ready to burn - it just locked the computer up.

When I look in Device Manager, it shows up as a ATAPI DVD A DH20A4P which all looks correct to me. I've gone to the Light-On website and they don't even list this unit, only the DH20A3P - not a 4P.

I'm no computer wizard. Is it possible my machine - i.e. processor and/or mainboard are just too old to support DVD copying? How would I find out for sure? Computer works fine for all else.

Thanks for any help jdemaris@hughes.net
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

dvd burning takes very little cpu or ram

With the first two new burners that I tried - I found out later they are rated for XP and Vista only
    why do you assume that?

I would think that the burning software ware was the problem?

Which is?

Comment

• jdemaris
      • Mar 2007

After reading the specs on the first two drives, Samsung and HP list them for XP and up. True or not, I don't know.

I've tried to burn DVDs with Nero Express Ver 6 and serveral versions of DVD Fab.
      I also tried to burn some CDs to see if they did any better and it also failed - yet worked fine with the older CD burner.

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

I never had a problem with w98se and dvd burning

Comment

Working...