Best/Most Reliable Internal DVD Burner Right Now?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex7718
    • Dec 2005

Best/Most Reliable Internal DVD Burner Right Now?

Time to buy a new DVD burner since old one is pretty much on it's last legs. It came with my computer and is OEM. Comes up as HL-DT-ST DVD-RW_GSA-H41N ATA Device. I'm kind of a noob when it comes to the hardware. The new burner needs to be able to fit in that same slot.

Not looking for any fancy Blu-Ray or HD features. Does not need any bells and whistles such as lightscribe etc.

What I'm looking for is something:
    - Vista OS Compatible.
    - Retail version.
    - Easy to find firmware upgrades/cracks to set booktype/etc.
    - Reliable and burns perfectly almost everytime.

I'm looking for the best available out right now meeting those criteria above. Any suggestions guys?
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

Hi Alex. Welcome. my Signature says it all. my 2 Sammys are great, and will burn just about anything. the sata's been out 4 a while and has proved it's worth. the ide isn't bad either. choose whisc one you need 4 your system. if pata, or ide then that. if open sata port then that. if both then go 4 it. there's some threads, and posts on similar topic. check them out if you get a chance. search feature in forum is great. don't worry about fit. 99% standard fit. you could get retail or oem at www.newegg.com. pioneers are not doing so well right now. that HL you have is a LG burner. i'd presume a Dell you have? if not doesn't matter but it's a LG 4 sure. they're great readers, and burners also. my dell came w/them. still have them as back-ups.
    Last edited by dr_ml422; 3 Mar 2008, 04:23 PM. Reason: spelling.
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• ed klein
      Banned
      • Mar 2004

I would get the latest, fastest Plextor dual layer reader/burner (DVD-9)
      and get the SATA version if your have a spare connection in your computer.

It will fit in the old DVD slot you are removing, and if you don't have a spare SATA connection get an IDE version and use the master connection and not the slave connection.

Using DVD+R media will usually run faster and Imgburn can create book type settings on your plus media.

Comment

• Alex7718
        • Dec 2005

Nice, thanks for the input from the both of you, helps a lot

Comment

• dr_ml422
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2007

plextor got out of the burner business about a year ago, saw one of their premium cd-burners unopened on ebay for 600$:

What's the real story w/Plextor? Are they in or out? This from Rosario's thread.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• blutach
            Not a god of digital video
            • Oct 2004

I gotta tell you that after 1 day with my new Samsung SH-S203B, I am extremely impressed.

Regards
            Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
            [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• ed klein
              Banned
              • Mar 2004

The two Plextor web-sites still show them being in the optical drive business.

Ontdek bij ons slimme oplossingen die perfect aansluiten op de eisen van de moderne wereld. Wij bieden innovatieve technologieën die het leven vereenvoudigen en verbeteren.

And they are advertising their forthcoming new Blu-ray optical drives, assume they are the 2.0 profile version.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • May 2007

hi Blu glad to hear you're enjoying the sata Sammy.

Ed so I guess we'll let Chewy come in and let us know if they're true Plextors, or a cross by some other outfit. I probably would of put out the extra $$$ to get 1 if in fact they're still in business. It's true they do cost more, but i've read nothing but good posts about them.

I hear you on the Blu-ray drives. Hopefully by next year this time they'd iron out any wrinkles pertaining to them as broadcasts are going digital, and Blu-ray won out the DVD format war. Also hope they can be hooked up w/out any drastic changes to present pcs w/xp. I'm thinking maybe they might require a different video card, driver, etc....?

Comment

• soup
                  Just Trying To Help
                  • Nov 2005

All my information so far states that Plextor hasn't made an optical drive since the 760. My PX-810SA is not a true Plextor, they still sell them under the Plextor name.

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

plextools is the answer, it doesn't work with any of the new models, soup is right, they formally announced they were ceasing developement of new drives over a year ago, they had been crossbranding for quite some time

There just weren't enough customers wanting to pay double for a real plextor

Like sony you might get a better crossbrand as they will be charging you extra and expecting higher quality control from the supplier

pioneer really dropped the ball, they were in position with their 112 line and the new sata to come out on top, they must have rushed some extra production facilities on line and quality control went all to hell

the lg and sony-optirac?/nec are also good drives
                    Last edited by Chewy; 5 Mar 2008, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• ed klein
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2004

Thats real bad news for me, I have used Plextor products since day one and zero problems.

Do you know who really makes the PX810SA?

I guess I am going to have to do more research on the future Blu-ray reader/burners before I purchase one.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • May 2007

Originally Posted by Chewy
                        plextools is the answer, it doesn't work with any of the new models, soup is right, they formally announced they were ceasing developement of new drives over a year ago, they had been crossbranding for quite some time

Like sony you might get a better crossbrand as they will be charging you extra and expecting higher quality control from the supplier

pioneer really dropped the ball, they were in position with their 112 line and the new sata to come out on top, they must have rushed some extra production facilities on line and quality control went all to hell

the lg and sony-optirac?/nec are also good drives
                        Hi chewy. Any idea whose putting them out now? By extra you don't mean more than the original plextors do you? Wouldn't make sense being they seized development for that very reason.

The optiarc/nec is the crossbrand for sony correct? or just a completely new line of sony?

Comment

• Chewy
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2003

sony and nec joint project?

plextor is sleeping around now

Comment

• dr_ml422
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • May 2007

Google's my friend I presume. Sensing either Nec/Optiarc own companies joining Sony. Thought they slipped there 4 a few? Guess got back on track? Recall post stating they also had gone a lil south as far as quality/production.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • May 2007

What's the story on installing a Blu-Ray drive on a present xp system, or any system 4 that matter? Will they b able to support it?

Comment

Working...