X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whizkid
    • Aug 2006

Life span of DVD Burners

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right place for this topic, but I was just wonderin:

We use an external DVD burner (USB) to burn maybe 5-6 discs a week (mostly videconference recordings). Will shortening the lifespan of the burner be reduced considerably if we use the same for verifying / playing the discs as well? We generally go over the recorded sessions at-least once before archiving.

So basically will the life of the burner be affected if it is used to say playback 10-20 hours of video as well?

Also with the latest technology nowadays what's the MTBF (Mean time between failures) for DVD burners? Is it calculated in hours of read/write or number of discs it can burn? And what are averages like?

Cheers!
  • NightTran
    King of Digital Video
    King of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

Dont burn back to back, verify by using your stand alone player, six a week may last you years if you have a right burner ( my benq gone through 5-6k discs already)
    sigpic

Comment

• dr_ml422
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2007

Tran's right on the money whizkid. 5-6 a week if it's still supported will last you a life time. My lgs that came w/my dell e310 have maybe 100 or more burns and their still kicking. Mind you those are oems from dell and not at the top like the other better well known burners.
      SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

Working...