Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kibescorp
    • Sep 2008

Discs Stored Above the Garage

Currently, I store most of my recorded CDs, DVDs, and other optical discs inside of a large wardrobe (instead of using it to keep clothes) which is located on the second floor of the house, in an area above the garage. I had a couple of concerns regarding this method of storage.

I have seen firsthand that notebook paper and printer paper will become brittle and yellowed over the course of several years and can also discolour objects around them. I was wondering if WOOD would also emit/release acid over time and discolour objects kept inside of something such as a wardrobe? It seems unlikely considering how much of what is around is actually made of wood, and the fact that wardrobes are DESIGNED to hold clothing, which are most susceptible to discolouring caused by paper acid.

I wanted to make sure that storing discs inside of an enclosed, wooden area was safe, although if I think about it, most entertainment centers are made of wood and come built with storage sectors for DVDs and the like.
    The other thing that I noticed recently was that most garages have an electronic device that hangs from the ceiling (it opens and closes the door(s)). Because this device is located below the ceiling of the garage, it means that it's also located below where my discs are stored. I once heard someone say that a strong electric force could "damage" the data layer of recorded discs, but I am unsure of the validity of the claim.

So I guess what I'm asking is, are electronic forces harmless to optical discs as magnetic fields are, or is there truth to the claim and might the device in the garage be an issue due to where it's positioned?

Thanks in advance if you can address this concern!
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

Don't worry about the garage door opener

Heat and moisture are burned optical media's worst enemies

A car dash or a microwave can ruin a disk very quickly but that goes without saying

I worry about heat more than moisture but then I don't live in the tropics

Comment

• kibescorp
      • Sep 2008

Great, thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...