Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bruceisback
    • Jul 2003

Play dvd files from Hard disk

I have a Dell 2350 dimension with a samsung cdrw/dvd,playing with a power dvd/dell software. I copied a dvd to my hard disk but can't get the files to play. Someone told me that it can't be done with the dell version power dvd,only the real power dvd.Any suggestions,thanks.

Bruceisback
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

1) Rip the FULL DVD (NOT "Movie" and NOT "Selected VOBs"), with either DVDDecrypter or Clad v.1.71 (NOT the more recent CladMDEC). Do NOT turn off "Multiangles". The ripped DVD MUST be placed in a directory/folder named "Video_ts". If you have more than one DVD on your drive, put this directory/folder into a folder named, for example, "Cast-Away".

2) I use WinDVD rather than PowerDVD, so you may have to modify the rest of this a little (It only LOOKS like a lot):

Click on the "Start" button at the lower left corner of the Windows Desktop. Click on run. Assuming that "Cast_Away" is on your "C:" drive, type the following (without the quotes):

"subst M: C:\Cast_Away" (Make certain to type a space between "M:" and "C:"). This establishes a mapped drive which will be recognized as a DVD drive.

Start WinDVD. Set WinDVD's Default drive to "M". Select "Autoplay". Select "Okay". Go back to the main WinDVD screen. If the ripped DVD doesn't start automatically, simply exit WinDVD and restart it. You'll now be viewing a "true" DVD, with all the options of the "hard" DVD available - languages, chapters, etc.

When you've tired of viewing Tom Hanks enamorata, "Wilson", close WinDVD. Go to the Windows Desktop "Start" button and once again select "Run". Type (without the quotes):

"subst M: /d" (Make certain to type a space between "M:" and "/d". Yes, the "d" MUST be lowercase.

This will eliminate the mapped drive.

I've gotta believe this will make you a happy camper ;>}
    Last edited by setarip; 12 Jul 2003, 09:56 AM.

Comment

• bruceisback
      • Jul 2003

PLAYING DVD FROM HD

Okay,I'm sorry,should have givin more info.Well I already ripped the dvd with DVD SHRINK,more or less as you suggested,making a subst drive but as I said the Dell Power dvd does not allow one to assess another drive. I have it going with Windows media player,which is fine,except I can't view the menu's. Thanks from the Emerald Isle.

Bruceisback

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Since you already have the requisite codecs installed (courtesy of PowerDVD):

Try downloading and installing this freeware DVD player. It can access DVDs from your hard drive:

(The biggest shortcoming it has is that it automatically shows Closed Captioning)

As another alternative, if you have your Windows installation CD, locate and install DVDPLAY.EXE - a neat little "freebie" from your friends at Microsoft, that not too many folks know about. Once again, it will work for you, since you already have the requisite codecs installed...

Comment

• bruceisback
          • Jul 2003

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

Downloaded ds player but it only played for a few moments,then stopped,tried a good few times,same problem.Also only a small window to view.

DVDPLAYER.EXE WAS ALREADY ON MY COMPUTER.WHEN I CLICKED ON IT,THE WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER APPEARED.

Looks like only solution is to keep putting the dvd in the drive.
          Thanks again.

Bruceisback

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"Also only a small window to view."

Just doubleclick in the window to make it fullscreen, or righclick to bring up a floating menu...

"DVDPLAYER.EXE WAS ALREADY ON MY COMPUTER.WHEN I CLICKED ON IT,THE WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER APPEARED."

First of all, the program is "DVDPLAY.EXE" - and if it was actually installed on your system, it wouldn't intialize the Windows Media Player. Once again, if you have your Windows installation CD, locate and install DVDPLAY.EXE...

Just curious, what does the icon look like for the DVD player?

Comment

• bruceisback
              • Jul 2003

Okay, the ds player opens to full screen but hangs after just a few seconds as before.

Sorry meant dvdplay.exe,which seems to be installed already.
              Icon for dvdplay is round with dvd letters in middle.
              When I use the windows logo key and f, and type in dvdplay.exe, 2 files appear.
              1st says dvdplay and in C:\1386.
              2nd says dvdplay and in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32.

Click on them and both bring up Windows Media player.
              Description in properties, says both. dvdplay placeholders application.

Thanks again,
              Bruceisback

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

Right icon, wrong program (You're being redirected to "MPLAYER2.EXE", which someone may have renamed as "DVDPLAY.EXE") ;>} I gather you didn't personally install this software...

Yet once again (then I'll "go away"), if you have your Windows installation CD, locate and install DVDPLAY.EXE...

Comment

• bruceisback
                  • Jul 2003

Thanks yet again,will try to find and install.

Bruceisback

Comment

• bruceisback
                    • Jul 2003

I cannot locate the dvdplay.exe file on the op cd.
                    This cd is a reinstallation cd,Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition,including Service Pack 1. Comments on cd are, only use this cd to reinstall the operating system on a dell computer.This cd is not for reinstallation of programs or drivers.

Perhaps you can tell me how to locate and install the file.

Thanks,
                    Bruceisback

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

Try using DSPlayer to play the ACTUAL DVD (NOT the hard drive version of the same thing). If it plays, it is extremely likely that the copy you've ripped to your hard drive (using DVDShrink) is flawed.

I'd suggest that you use DVDDecrypter to "rip" the FULL DVD (In "File Mode", from the "Edit" dropdown menu, choose "Select ALL files", NOT "Select movie files") - and then try to play this newly ripped version using DSPlayer...

Comment

• bruceisback
                        • Jul 2003

The DS Player acts the same (hangs) using dvd in drive.

Thanks,
                        Bruceisback

Comment

Working...