X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • baylarm
    • Jan 2002

windvd region set on 5

I need some help, my windvd player has locked to region 5
    which is russia, I have uninstalled and then reinstalled the program, with no improvement. I dont think its a software fault
    is there something simple Im missing here?
    Please someone help me to reset to region 2.
  • Kaiser-Soze
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Jan 2002

Though I never personally encountered this problem before (U should be more careful) here is my thoughts on this proble but they may not work 100%
    There is a program that helps you bypass the Region-Check
    called DVD-Genie but I don't know if it will work now that u locked the WinDVD.Try downloading it and changing the region through there.If it doesn't work I am afraid that u 'll have to buy only Russian CD's
    lol no I am joking. Maybe u can try removing the registry entries from Hkey Local Machine/Software... and installing the Windvd again. But again I don't know if that will work either 100%.The worst thing far as I know that u will need to do to solve the problem is to format C: which I gladly do every month to my C: so no need to worry.
    Speak until the tape runs out. Playback the tape until the story is finished...

Comment

• baylarm
      • Jan 2002

Thanks, kaiser. can you give me a link to the DVD-Genie you mensioned so I can download it. That seems to be the best thing to try first.

Comment

• Kaiser-Soze
        Platinum Member
        Platinum Member
        • Jan 2002

Try this

U will have to configure your player when u install DVD Genie
        I mean u have to select WinDVD as your player and the select alternate region setting. It's easy to use.
        Best luck, hope it worx

Comment

• baylarm
          • Jan 2002

Cheers, kaiser and thankx again, I`m on to the link now. If it works, I owe you one.

Last edited by baylarm; 21 Jan 2002, 09:12 AM.

Comment

• Kaiser-Soze
            Platinum Member
            Platinum Member
            • Jan 2002

No problem m8
            just tell me what happened so I know if it works

Comment

• baylarm
              • Jan 2002

Kaiser! Are you there?

Still no joy with DVD-Genie.

Can you explain what you ment by removing registry entries from Hkey Local Machine/software?

As for format C drive. I wouldn`t want to do that. I`ve heard it can cause a lot of problems if you dont know what your doing.
              (which you`ve probably gathered I don`t!)
              But I`m determined to kick this thing to death until I find a solution.
              Please assist.

Comment

• Kaiser-Soze
                Platinum Member
                Platinum Member
                • Jan 2002

Look I don't know if this can help (Probably not). I Know about the registry keys and entries in PowerDVD player but I don't know about the WinDVD and even if I knew I don't know if removing them would help. Just for the history probably At HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE there will be a folder with the name of Intervideo or something u can remove those keys and see what happens, but since u aren't able to format your C: I wouldn't advice to mess with the registry.
                I would say formating is much more easier for u (And your problem will be solved 100%), and nothing wrong can be done to your computer with formating.

Anyway
                U must be lucky for not locking your DVD Rom player as well.
                U would be looking for the Russian DVD Market to sell it
                LOL
                Good Luck m8 and be careful next time

Comment

• joegib
                  Gold Member
                  Gold Member
                  • Dec 2001

DVD Genie is a program designed to overcome region-protection in software DVD players like WinDVD and PowerDVD. BUT you first have to overcome region-protection built into the DVD drive. You do this by installing "patched" firmware in the drive (this is like flashing the BIOS of your motherboard). This is all explained here:

There is no way that you can get round region-protection using DVD Genie without flashing the drive (unless you have a very old drive). Patching firmware wrongly can kill your drive, though, so you do it at your own risk.

Comment

• baylarm
                    • Jan 2002

:
                    Cheers joegib,
                    I believe the answer lies in the DVD Firmware as you suggested,
                    Only thing I need Now is Firmware for:-
                    SAMSUNG COMBO SM-304B BSO3
                    Failing that go cap in hand to samsung for a fix.
                    Any further ideas or suggestions on where this firmware exists?

Allthebest
                    Andyb

Comment

• Kaiser-Soze
                      Platinum Member
                      Platinum Member
                      • Jan 2002

P.S

Your DVD Drive sould be locked by now though because most of them have the same alternate region settings(5 region changes)
                      So... if it is truly locked
                      As joegib said u do it at your own RISK.

Good Luck (BTW if u flash the firmware do it at DOS, coz in Windows u never know )

Comment

• joegib
                        Gold Member
                        Gold Member
                        • Dec 2001

There is a patched version of firmware v.BS05 in the "Combo" section on this site:

The description in the entry for this model suggests that this is an improved version in the same BSXX firmware series. So, it may be compatible with your drive but this is not certain. Suggest you do a search in the "Discussion" forum attached to that site for posts showing whether BS05 can be used with your drive. You could also look on the Samsung site to see whether they are compatible:

Samsung helps you discover a wide range of home electronics with cutting-edge technology including smartphones, tablets, TVs, home appliances and more.

Comment

• baylarm
                          • Jan 2002

Cheers Kaiser,
                          Cheers Joe,
                          I`ll give it a go, if you don`t hear from me in a while, it`ll be because me system has been snookered.
                          Cross you fingers for me.
                          Hope to speak to you soon.

Andyb

Comment

• Kaiser-Soze
                            Platinum Member
                            Platinum Member
                            • Jan 2002

LOL
                            Good Luck m8 although we will speak soon.
                            U either be telling us how nice the latest DVD movie is or how or how cool your DVD looks as a coffee holder

Comment

Working...