Does ULead MF2 convert to DVD compliant MPEG2?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteveA
    • Oct 2003

Does ULead MF2 convert to DVD compliant MPEG2?

I'm new at the DVd burning gig. I have a new Sony DV camera and a new DVD burner for the computer. My burner (Sony DWU10A)came with ULead MF2 software.
    When capturing directly from the camera, is the material in the .AVI format and then encoded by ULead to MPEG2 for burning?
    I guess what I am asking is there any other/additional software I need to burn my home movies onto DVD (at the highest quality possible) ?
    I do not need fancy editing right now. I'm more interested in simply storing and viewing the movies from a stable and permanent format.

Thanks.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"When capturing directly from the camera, is the material in the .AVI format and then encoded by ULead to MPEG2 for burning?"

1) Just look at the extender of the captured file - Is it ".AVI" or ".MPG"?

2) If it's ".MPG", try loading it into either DVDLab or TMPGEnc DVD Author (different than TMPGEnc).

3) If it's either ".AVI" or an unacceptable (to DVDLab or TMPGEnc DVD Author) ".MPG" format, do the following:

One set of procedures (other posters may/probably will suggest alternative methods) would be:

1) Use "TMPGEnc" to convert the file to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" v.1.5.11.37 (a different program than "TMPGEnc) to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
    (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• SteveA
      • Oct 2003

Thanks for the quick and lengthly reply. From what I gather you are suggesting that I use TMPGE DVD author to import, then convert, and subsequently burn the DVD. If it is better or will do more than the ULead MF2 program, I'll give it a try. I think all of the TMPGE software is downloadable on a trial basis. By the way, my Dell has XP Home for an OS. Thanks.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"From what I gather you are suggesting that I use TMPGE DVD author to import, then convert, and subsequently burn the DVD."

1) No. First please read again carefully. "TMPGEnc" and "TMPGEnc DVD Author" are two different programs that perform different functions.

2) I would ask again, what is the extender of the captured file - Is it ".AVI" or ".MPG"?

Comment

• SteveA
          • Oct 2003

I just "captured" a short amount of footage from my DV camera. Prior to capturing, the ULead MF2 asked me to choose what type of file format I want the material to be saved in. The choices were DV,AVI,MPEG,DVD,VCD.
          I chose MPEG and imported a minute's worth for learning purposes. I later check the file properties and it listed it as MPEG-2. It obviously had an .MPG extender.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"I guess what I am asking is there any other/additional software I need to burn my home movies onto DVD (at the highest quality possible) ?"

"The choices were DV,AVI,MPEG,DVD,VCD."

It would seem to be apparent that capturing using the "DVD" choice would be all that's required to be ready-to-burn...

Comment

Working...