Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mattgrant
    • Nov 2003

Region free Toshiba

I have a Toshiba SD-M1612 DVD-ROM drive in my PC currently on Region 2. Can i flash it to make it multi-region? or do I have to do it in software?
  • joegib
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Dec 2001

There is region-free firmware available for this model -- see here:

As a bonus this also removes the ripping speed limit. Don't forget that you'll also have to overcome region-protection in your software player (Power DVD, WinDVD) with utilities such as DVD Genie or Region Killer.

The alternative to flashing firmware is to use utilities like Remote Selector, AnyDVD and Region Free. But, these are commercial solutions you have to pay for.

Comment

• mattgrant
      • Nov 2003

great thanks

Comment

• decryptit
        • Jan 2004

That firware does only remove the speed limit your drive can handle.You'll need an additional firware flash in order to set
        the drive region free.

You wouldn't need mote than 12.5 X as speed for normal circumstances.So if if you feel not doing this firware flash just don't,its not realy nessasery.
        Total Number Of Views
        Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• decryptit
          • Jan 2004

Follow my mail.
          Last edited by decryptit; 24 Mar 2004, 05:03 AM.
          Total Number Of Views
          Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• joegib
            Gold Member
            Gold Member
            • Dec 2001

Originally posted by decryptit
            That firware does only remove the speed limit your drive can handle.You'll need an additional firware flash in order to set
            the drive region free.
            Why don't you READ what it says in the FAQ:

from Hijacker's FAQ
            All firmwares are RPC-1 (Region Free) and have the CSS media read speed limit removed!
            You're posing as some sort of region-free expert but you don't even seem to understand the terminology. RPC-1 means region-free! I KNOW this firmware is region-free because I used it to flash my own SD-1612!

Comment

• decryptit
              • Jan 2004

DO you think so !

You just suggested the website but the guy involved in flashing up his firware may get confused with all the things explained in there.Therfore i've e-mailed him with the appropriate firware + a short explaination on getting the work done easily.

Just be more specific next time i know many ppl which damged their own drives because of missing something during the flashing process therfore i always tend to be specific when dealing with such things.

For your info i know what that means RPC-1 ,and don't be surprised when you see that word in front of you because sometimes its just a fool which tends to make nonsence.I've seen
              firware's that simply damaged drives and left only trouble behind.
              So be careful downlaod firware's from trusted sources and don't just look for "rpc-1'' sometimes it doesn't mean it.
              Total Number Of Views
              Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• joegib
                Gold Member
                Gold Member
                • Dec 2001

Originally posted by decryptit
                So be careful downlaod firware's from trusted sources and don't just look for "rpc-1'' sometimes it doesn't mean it.
                The site I referred the original poster to belongs to Hijacker who is the actual author of many of the patched firmware versions used for Toshiba drives. He is also one of the founders/moderators of the Firmware Page:

-- which is the premier Internet site for official/patched firmware.

If you knew a little more you wouldn't make snide remarks ("trusted sites" indeed!!) about the sites of people who have made major contributions to the region-free scene.

Comment

• decryptit
                  • Jan 2004

I never said nothing against the author of that web , i just want to make it a point that sometimes rpc is not meant to be nothing
                  therfore you must be sure of what you are doing and download the right firware for the right source.

If you would give a URL just like what you did a ''Newbie" would get mixed up, download the firware but most probably install it uncorrectly.I have this person a brief guide which i gave to other 2 persons for flashing there drive.And yes i repeat there are
                  2 types of firware you can find for that toshiba model ,one removes the speed limit the other removes (rpc) region(s) and the speed limit.
                  Last edited by decryptit; 25 Mar 2004, 08:07 AM.
                  Total Number Of Views
                  Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• mattgrant
                    • Nov 2003

I'm sorry to have caused an argument in here. Thanks to both of you for the information you have given me. I have not done anything to my drive yet, and will read through everything carefully before I attempt anything.

Thanks once again.

Comment

• decryptit
                      • Jan 2004

Np Just follow the easiest way you can figure out!
                      Total Number Of Views
                      Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

Working...