Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dubwill
    • May 2004

Playback deteriorates

hey guys, i´ve been reading old threads but cant find an answer... i have a dell 2.4g PIIII, Samsung DVD/cd-rw combi and LG super multi DVD writer. After some experiments (i´m not exactly a newbie), i found a combination of DVDDecrypter and Pinnacle Instant Copy to give me best results. This was good for a while, then i started burning coasters for no reason ! Then i swapped to using Clone Dvd2 instead of ICopy, which was also great for a while.. now that is giving me exactly the same problem after about 15 successful burns ! I tried different DVD-R brands.. same thing.. The movie will play but (normally) after it passes the 1hr mark it breaks up... any ideas ? Would be appreciated.. thanks.
  • Junkie_ball
    • Jan 2004

I had a problem where i tried different brands and a deterioration in playback after about an hour. My problem was labels on the disks. Well imagine here i was 20 or so dvd's with labels all had the same problem.

I spent hours and hours removing these labels using nail polish remover being very careful not to get any on the burnt side etc. etc.

Well when i tried these films again they played perfectly. Never know just thought this might be your problem!!
    SYSTEM:

Pentioum Duo 6400, 8 GB Ram, 500Gb Hardrive, 32x DVD Rom, 16 x TCorp Duel Layer Burner, Geforce 7900GTX.

Bow to the gods of Digital-Digest

http://www.wix.com/martinhopkins/designandphotography

Comment

• sfheath
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Sep 2003

I've seen a lot of threads where removing labels have restored playability.
      I can't help wondering if some DVD burners just get a little weaker with time.
      This isn't the first thread I've seen where a working system deteriorates. My own has despite my never using labels. First drum of cheap discs worked so well I bought two more. Halfway through the second drum mine started playing up.
      Firmware updates appear to restore working systems sometimes but not always. Changing to a better quality media the same.
      There's just too many variables!!
      This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• dubwill
        • May 2004

Thanks guys, its useful to know, but i dont use labels.. i still dont know what the problem was, but i switched to dvd+r and the problem was gone. i'm still wary as i started with success using dvd-r and the pixelation didnt start until after 10 to 15 back-ups so time may tell
        Another quick note. i'm watching these back-ups on an 'seg dvd430' which defines dvd-r/rw as a readable format but no mention of dvd+r/rw.. its all so vague, if you know what i mean.
        anyway.. i used 'tdk rw dvd+r' disks if its useful to anyone, and wrote at 4x with the gsa 4040b.
        thanks again, be lucky.

Comment

Working...