Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maltesers
    • Aug 2004

TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6 help

TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6 iwrote a dvd with this program however the dvd wont play on my standalne dvd player i used the template and followed the instructions in the help file i looked at a few guiedes as well and i cant seem to find any thing wrong iwait no disc label but that shouldent case a problem
    any way im going to try nero to burn it next
    so do i just burn data disc and use the dvd folder or somthing else
    thanx in advanc
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Does the BURNED DVD play on your PC? If so, it's undoubtedly a compatibility problem regarding your standalone player and the media.

To determine the capabilities/limitations of your specific brand and model of standalone DVD player, as well as media compatibility, go to:

Comment

• dvd duck
      • Sep 2004

I have had success with avi to VCD conversions in the past. However, all attempts from avi to DVD have failed using TMPGen, regardless of version. Typically the problem is that something goes wrong with the audio. I have one disk where everyone sounded like chimp munks, and many attempts with no audio. Afterdark has a guide, which I tried following religiously, but still no audio despite attempts with several different AVI's.

I finally tried a different product, avitodvd by boilersoft. The DVD came out perfectly. Although, I've only tried one AVI and that is with the unregistered version.

I wish I understood why TMPGen doesn't correctly convert the audio portion of movies.

DVD Duck

Comment

• gchester
        Gold Member
        Gold Member
        • Feb 2002

DVD duck use virtual dub to re-encode the audio as a uncompressed wav file and keep the video as is, then with tmpg use the dvd wizard on the new outputted file to re-encode to DVD should be fine

Comment

• dvd duck
          • Sep 2004

I'm afraid adding one more program into the mix is not the answer. It already takes TMPGen 12 hours to encode a fifty minute tv program. Adding another program increases the encoding time and complexity even further.

Now that I've used avitodvd more, I've discovered the one constistent problem with that program is the sound track doesn't exactly sync with the video. The longer the video, the more out of sync. For video's less than 30 minutes, a -300ms adjustment seems to work, but for longer videos a constant adjustment is not sufficient.

I've also found all the suggested techniques I've found on the web either result in low quality, or using more DVD's than neccessary. My best strategy so for is to encode each tv episode with avitodvd and then infoedit. I then use DVDShrink to merge six episodes onto a disk at a size ruffly equivalent to twice the original divx size using the smoothing filter. This results in a DVD burn where the artifacts are actually less noticable than the original divx I started from, and six tv episodes per disk.

The entire process requires about one day for each DVD disk I build. Still pretty slow, compared to the time for copying a DVD, but faster than using TMPGen to encode one episode per day.

The 300ms adjustment corrects the audio sync enough that I consider the disks worth burning, but I would be much happier if the audio and the video synced 100% accurately.

Bill
          Last edited by dvd duck; 22 Sep 2004, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Working...