Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dene
    • Feb 2002

DVD that won't play.

Hi - I'm a newbie, both to this forum and to the world of DVDs, and I have a couple of questions.

I have just borrowed the DVD of LOTR from a friend. I cannot get this to play at all in my laptop. What happens is that the DVD player software launches, and then DVD unit just "whirrs" uselessly for as long as I let it. My friend assures me that this plays ok on his laptop and desktop machine. I am using a Toshiba Satellite Pro which I bought one month ago. The DVD unit is a Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-C2502. It plays other DVDs and CDs ok.

Admittedly this is a pirated CD ,so I guess there may be a quality issue, but I wondered whether changing the DVD software would make any difference. The laptop comes with Mediamatics DVDExpress - which seems to have fairly limited functionality - the read me file states "The DVDExpress installed on this computer does not support play of files with the .vob extension." (and I thought all DVD files were .VOB ???). I may well change the player software anyway. Does anyone have any recommendations or comments to offer regarding

1. the issue of the LOTR disc which won't play
    2. changing player software with Toshiba players

Thanks a lot
Working...