X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HighLander
    • Sep 2004

I would like to know about DTS sound

Hello,

I am thinking of buying the Philips DVP642 dvd player the problem is that it doesnt have dts decoder.
    My receiver however does have a DST decoder.
    Will my receiver play the dts sound in movies allthough there is no dts decoder in the dvd , will it play dts at all?
    does the fact that if I buy a dvd that suport dts and have allready a reciever that supports one will make my sound be better in movies?

Thanks for the help,

I would be more than thankful if you can please send me an answer directly to my email at:
    d_mind@netvision.net.il

thanks

HighLander
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

"Will my receiver play the dts sound in movies allthough there is no dts decoder in the dvd , will it play dts at all?"

Without the DTS decoder, your standalone player will most likely automatically "Downmix" the audio stream to 2-channel stereo.

Comment

• coleywrx
      • Oct 2004

I think you may be mistaking one thing for another. You do not need a DVD player with built in DTS decoding if your receiver is capable of DTS playback. You simply need a DVD player that will output the DTS bitstream on it's digital output to your Dolby Digital/DTS ready receiver. Almost ALL newer DVD players, even really cheap ones, will output DTS on the digital output.
      Last edited by coleywrx; 10 Nov 2004, 02:57 AM.

Comment

• wgb113
        • Nov 2004

coleywrx has it correct. As long as your receiver has DTS decoding built in all you'll need is a digital audio connection (coax or optical) from your DVD player to your receiver in order to enjoy the surround format.

Many prefer the DTS soundtrack to the Dolby Digital if both are offered as the DTS version is usually described as warmer in the treble and having more bass.

Bill

Comment

Working...