Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GMemperor
    • Jan 2005

Trouble with DVD playback

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4300 laptop made in 2000 and running 2K. I upgraded the RAM to 256 about 2 years ago. When I first got the machine the DVD worked great. I have not used it in about 2 years since I got a DVD player for the house. The other day I tried to play a DVD. The player Mediamatics DVD Express launched, I got the audio, but the view screen for the player is solid green. I uninstalled and reinstalled the player from the config CD and still the same problem? I went into device mgr and it tells me every component of my system is working properly with no conflicts. Who's got the answer guys?
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

What kind of DVD-ROM is it? Or Is it a DVD Burner/Writer ?

Also what is the model # of the DVD-ROM/Burner?
    Last edited by jmet; 8 Jan 2005, 10:21 AM.

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

make certain that your have DirectX installed...

Comment

• GMemperor
        • Jan 2005

Jmet: The PLAYER is a CD/DVD ROM by Toshiba...It is model SD-C2302. Thanks for the reply...I hope you can help.

Where do I look in Windows 2000 to find if Direct X is installed?

Comment

• jmet
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2002

From the Toshiba website -

"SD-C2302- ATAPI Slim-Line
          Specifications
          Compatible Standards:
          DVD -ROM (DVD-5, DVD-9, DVD-10, DVD-18), DVD-R (read, single border)
          CD CD-DA, CD+G, CD-MIDI, CD-TEXT, CD-ROM, CD-ROM XA, CD-I Bridge (Photo-CD, Video CD), CD-I, Multisession CD (Photo-CD, CD-Extra, CD-RW, CD-R), CD-R (read), CD-RW (read) "

Just curious, when you tried to play a DVD the "other day", was it a DVD that you went out and bought, or a backed up DVD ? If it was a backed up DVD, it has to be DVD-R. If it was a DVD+R/RW or a DVD-RW, thats why it wouldn't work.

Comment

• GMemperor
            • Jan 2005

The DVD I attempted to play was a purchased copy not a reproduced one. I attempted to play the same DVD on my computer using Real Player instead of the Mediamatics DVD Express and I got the same result. Audio was fine, but video screen was principally green with no video images. Could this be a hardware problem? Again, tank you for the reply.

Comment

• jmet
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2002

Originally Posted By: GMemperor
              " Could this be a hardware problem?"

If it only happens with that device (that DVD-ROM), yes I would suspect a hardware issue.

Comment

• GMemperor
                • Jan 2005

jmet: Nice new photo...Do any TV news lately? I wanted you to know I finally got a solution to my DVD problem. I did the following...I uninstalled Mediamatics DVD Express software (junk). I downloaded and installed DivX for the codecs. I uninstalled Real Player to avoid conflicts. I installed a copy of PowerDVD and everything is cool now. Thank you greatly for your advice. I'll be watching for you on the news! GMemperor

Comment

• jmet
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2002

Originally posted by GMemperor
                  jmet: Nice new photo...Do any TV news lately? I wanted you to know I finally got a solution to my DVD problem. I did the following...I uninstalled Mediamatics DVD Express software (junk). I downloaded and installed DivX for the codecs. I uninstalled Real Player to avoid conflicts. I installed a copy of PowerDVD and everything is cool now. Thank you greatly for your advice. I'll be watching for you on the news! GMemperor
                  You're Very Welcome! It was my pleasure!

Comment

Working...