Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gimlotto
    • May 2005

DVD audio Hi-Lo Threshhold Help

I'm looking for a plug-in or program that will allow a "smart-sound", audio normalizing feature for playing DVD's.

The problem is, while playing DVD's I constantly have to adjust the volume! You can barely hear conversations, and then a horn will honk, etc. and our ear drums will burst!

I once had a TV with a smart-sound feature, and it was great, it basically normalized the Hi-Lo audio levels, so conversations were clear, and explosions, etc. didn't break any windows in our house.

My sys:
    - PowerDVD 6.0
    - XP SP1
    - Intel D865GBF Mobo
    - SoundMAX 4 XL with AudioESP audio subsystem using the Analog Devices AD1985 codec
    - P4 3.2 Prescott
    - Lite-on DVD-RW SOHW 1633S (Latest firmware)
    - Radeon 9000
    - Latest drivers (direct X, etc)

Any help would be Greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Gimlotto; 10 May 2005, 12:33 AM.
  • yhsaf
    • Jan 2005

i don't know a "on-the-fly-normalizer" but with Sonic Foundry/Sony SoundForge you can normalize your wav/mp3/etc.-files.

Comment

• Gimlotto
      • May 2005

Normalize vs. "Smart Sound"

Actually, normalization isn't the problem, I've normalized audio for years using Cooledit (Auditon), etc.

The problem is the "Ratio" of High to Low audio amplitude levels. I want to bring human speech, whispers, etc. up in amplitude, and loud explosions, etc. down in amplitude.

With a guitar, mic, you would do this with a compressor/limiter.

I had a Philips TV with "smart sound" technology that accomplished this wonderfully.

Also, many home theater amplifiers have some sort of setting for this.

It would be easy, I think, for someone to create a plug-in, say, for PowerDVD that had this "Smart-Sound" feature. I'm hoping there is something already out there that will help me with this, I just haven't been able to find it yet.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

" I want to bring human speech, whispers, etc. up in amplitude, and loud explosions, etc. down in amplitude."

If your computer's sound system has an "equalizer", raise the mid-range to maximum and reduce all others (visually, a bell curve)...

Comment

• Gimlotto
          • May 2005

Advanced, naturally.

Actually, I found what I was looking for, I'll post it here for posterity.

In the PowerDVD audio configuration, click the "Advanced" button, and adjust the "Dynamic Range Compression" to the middle setting.

It was a bit hard to find, but this did the trick.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

Congratulations on resolving your dilemma!

Comment

Working...