Burned movies glitching towards the end?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike89
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • May 2005

Burned movies glitching towards the end?

I notice that a few burned movies (using dvd decripter and dvd shrink) are glitching towards the end of the movies. Momentary pauses/freezes, sometimes so bad the rest of the movie can't even be watched. Dunno what the problem is. Playing fine until towards the end. This does not happen on all players. I can play it one one player and no problems at all. Play it on another one and have these problems towards the end.

Anyone had similar issues?
    Last edited by Mike89; 3 Jul 2005, 07:25 AM.
    I7 920 @ 3.5 gig (ThermalRight U120E 1366 RT Heatsink), Asus P6T, 3x1024 Corsair DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 280, NEC 90GX2, X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, Lite-on IHAS4228 SATA DVD R/W, Pioneer DVR-216D SATA DVD R/W, LG GH22NS30 SATA DVD R/W, 2 WD 640 gig (32 meg cache) SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig SATA External HDD (eSata), Winfast USB2 TV Tuner, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows XP Pro
  • Alien Bay
    Always learning
    • Oct 2004

Anyone had similar issues?
    Yup. There's a couple of factors to look at. What speed are you burning at? Shouldn't be any faster than 4x. Also, what kind of media are you using. Using a good quality media.
    Primarily, I would suggest you slow down the burn speed.

I had this issue a lot early on and changed a lot of things all at once. One was discontinuing use of older LiteOn dvd burner, which I think didn't help issues. The other was slow down the burn speed to 4x.
    I also use DVD Info to check the burn and it's pretty good at finding bad burn sectors. Saves me the grief of getting almost all the way thru a movie to find out it's essentially and crap burn.
    You can find DVD Info Pro here. It has a free trial and then you must purchase.
    APOD

Comment

• blutach
      Not a god of digital video
      • Oct 2004

Read http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=44912 If you don't like ads, you can use Nero CD-DVD Speed (see how to test your burn in my sig).

Probably bad/inferior media. Read the golden rules of burning in my sig.

Regards
      Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
      [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

To Mike89

"I can play it one one player and no problems at all. Play it on another one and have these problems towards the end."

Although, as others have speculated, it most likely is a problem of poor quality media, your statement that these discs exhibit this behaviour on only one of your players MAY indicate that the problem lies with the player.

You may want to try running a DVD/CD cleaning disc on that standalone DVD player. Maxell makes one that retails for approximately $10US...

If you have more questions, always feel free to ask them...

Some people can't see the forest for the trees. Most times, simple is better;>}

Comment

• Mike89
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          • May 2005

I just ran that test using the Nero DVD speed. All green. I had been burning at 8x. I'm new to DVD burning and so far have used only HP dvd+r 8x media (which I thought were good disks). Guess I'll try lowering the speed down a bit. I noticed when burning with DVD Decripter, the burning speeds varied from like 3x at the beginning and got faster as more disk was burned, ending up at around 8x. I thought that was adjusting the burn to the proper speed. Still too fast? I also took a tip from a guide I read (using DVD Decripter and DVD Shrink) that suggesed setting up DVD Shrink to a maximum size of 4360 so as not to get so close to the end of the disk and giving a little wiggle room for less potential errors. That's what I have always had the default max size at since I started my burning experiences.
          Last edited by Mike89; 3 Jul 2005, 04:38 PM.
          I7 920 @ 3.5 gig (ThermalRight U120E 1366 RT Heatsink), Asus P6T, 3x1024 Corsair DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 280, NEC 90GX2, X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, Lite-on IHAS4228 SATA DVD R/W, Pioneer DVR-216D SATA DVD R/W, LG GH22NS30 SATA DVD R/W, 2 WD 640 gig (32 meg cache) SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig SATA External HDD (eSata), Winfast USB2 TV Tuner, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows XP Pro

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

usually problems like this can be overcome by switching media and slowing your burn speed down. be wary of the nero speed tests as i have had one show all green and 100%, yet there was still damage to the disc.
            "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
            Columbo moments...
            "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
            "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
            (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• tigerman8u
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Aug 2003

getting glitches at the end of a dvd is a good sign that the media is either cheap or bad. You can lower the overall size of your burn to stay away from the edges of the dvd where the media/dye gets worse. You could also try a dvd-r to see if your player likes it better than dvd+r

Comment

Working...