Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skyflyer721
    • Aug 2005

Playback of PAL -> NTSC DVD

OK, for a long time now I've known how to convert and entire PAL DVD to NTSC DVD. This works fine, using IFOedit to "trick" the DVD player and Nero Recode to shrink the disc. But I still have problems... Is there ANY way to make it right??? No matter what I do, what settings I put on, the newly NTSC DVDs play back in 4:3 thereby stretching the image that was originally 16:9. I tried using DVD Patcher to reformat the .vob files, but when I do that, Nero Recode won't accept the DVD and crashes. Is there anything I can do to make the DVD player play these DVDs back in 16:9 and not 4:3 ??
  • tigerman8u
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2003

to get a true 16:9 dvd you have to re-encode. Using Ifoedit have you changed the 4:3 ar to 16:9 in the IFO file

Comment

• skyflyer721
      • Aug 2005

Yes. I did realize everything I was doing, thinking that the IFO would then "tell" the DVD player to play the entire disc as 16:9 but that did not work. I then figured that it's not enough to just edit the IFO, I'd have to edit the VOB files as well, and I tried using the DVD Patch program. I changed every VOB to NTSC 29.97, 720X480. This made Nero Recode reject the DVD folder, claiming there is not enough space on my computer to complete the operation (which is completely false, I have over 60GB free). My next step is to buy (though it pains my wallet) a few DVD-R DL's and just burn the files verbatim, no compression. This way I can still edit both the IFO's and VOB's and not have to use Nero Recode for anything. I just hope that Burning Rom will still accept the files as valid DVD Video files. :-/ Anybody ever try this? Anybody ever successful in doing what I'm trying to do?

Comment

• blutach
        Not a god of digital video
        • Oct 2004

The setting in the IFO overrides the setting in the VOB. Setting it to 16:9 makes it 16:9. However, you must also stipulate one of auto widescreen or auto pan & scan (you may also stipulate widescreen for anamorphic). There is no need to change the VOBs at all.

As for using what is known as the "patch method" to convert NTSC/PAL, you are one of the lucky ones that it works for. Better to re-encode. But there are packages out there which do a good job.

Hope this helps.

Regards
        Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
        [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• skyflyer721
          • Aug 2005

OK, so this DVD (one of about the 15 I've tried--- I lived in Europe for a year and accumulated a number of concert DVD's that are all zone, but still in PAL), the menus are 4:3 and the concert is 16:9. I don't care if I would happen to make the menus 16:9 as long as my concert is 16:9. But no matter what settings I put in IFOEdit, it always does the same thing. Here's what I usually have:

hxxp:// home.comcast.net/~jdvalasko/ifo1.GIF (Sorry, I don't know if you're allowed to link outside of the forums.)

I have also tried (IN ADDITION to that) clicking the Letterbox (Top & Bottom Cropped) option. But neither have ever worked. The image always gets stretched out.

Comment

• skyflyer721
            • Aug 2005

this is just a bump and also a question about what I was going to try : Has anybody ever recorded directly to a DVD-R DL after editing the IFO ? What are the results ?

Comment

Working...