Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jczeczok
    • Feb 2007

does anyone know?

when I rip my dvd to my hard drive. It is put into numerous data files. Is their a way I can play those files directly on my computer and watch the movie right from the computer. Is there a program I need to do that?

Thanks,
    JC
  • olyteddy
    • Nov 2006

Power DVD can. I'm sure there are others, but since that's what I got, that's what I use.

Comment

• johnnyd
      • Jun 2005

Do a search and you will find several very good and free programs for playing video files.

Comment

• Calimari
        • Oct 2006

jczeczok,

The best software for dvd-playback is Media Player Classic. It's free and comes without an installer (thus without tons of drivers and 'samples').
        Just create a folder in C:\Program Files, call it eg. MPC and download the executable of MPC there. MPC is a modified version of the old Media Player 6, and its playback approaches a stand alone dvd-player. This is ideal for testing your rips.

When you have a folder with a ripped DVD on your hard disc, you'll find a VIDEO_TS and an AUDIO_TS subfolder. In the VIDEO_TS folder, right-click on VIDEO_TS.IFO and 'open with...' Then choose a program, in this case Media Player Classic, and check the little box to let it do this all the times. You'll see the icon of VIDEO_TS.IFO change, as it is now associated with MPC. Next time you just have to double click on VIDEO_TS.IFO to launch MPC and watch your dvd. Of course, you can launch MPC and open your files from there too.
        You should try it, good luck.

Comment

• gs47
          • Oct 2005

Media Player Classic is free and available here
          PowerDVD is great but not free. MPC is well regarded in this forum and I use it too along with PowerDVD...

Comment

• Calimari
            • Oct 2006

Originally Posted by olyteddy
            Power DVD can. I'm sure there are others, but since that's what I got, that's what I use.
            Media Player Classic follows the DVD standard a lot more than Power DVD.
            I've experienced that with failed rips. MPC stopped playback, as it would be on a standalone, while Power DVD 'found' something else to play.

Comment

• anonymez
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2004

MPC is a modified version of the old Media Player 6
              actually written from scratch by gabest. just a similar interface
              "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• jczeczok
                • Feb 2007

Thanks all

Comment