Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joea64
    • Jun 2002

Odd PowerDVD problem - freeze, then screen blackout

I've been encountering a very strange problem running PowerDVD (version 3, then version 4) for the past several weeks. At random intervals, the program will lock up, taking the desktop with it, and when I press CTRL-ALT-DEL to try to end the program, the screen will blank out to a black screen, from which I have to do a hard reboot (power down/reset) to restart the system. This has happened when:

1) I've tried to access several different tabs in the configuration menu;
    2) I've done a good amount of stop-and-start, step-advance playing of a DVD (I do a good deal of screen capture);
    3) I try to play more than one DVD in sequence;
    4) I switch PowerDVD to fullscreen mode.

My system is based on an AMD Duron 800 CPU, and has 512 MB RAM, running Windows 98 SE. Previously, my video card was an nVidia TNT2 Riva M64 with 32MB, but that card doesn't have hardware DVD playback - which I thought was a contributing factor, because the burden of playing the DVD was being placed on the CPU - so I bought a GeForce 4 MX440 card with 64MB RAM today (this card _does_ have hardware DVD playback capability). The bad news is, PowerDVD still locks up.

I frankly don't know what to do. I'm beginning to think I should switch to another DVD player like WinDVD. Has anyone else had this problem?

-Joe-
Working...