Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vljenewein
    • Jan 2003

American Movies in Deutch mit English subs

Does anyone use DVDDecrypter to rip movies onto the hard drive? Now, did you make them "region free"? The reason is I am looking for a few American films that are in the German language and have English subtitles. I want to improve on my German and think this would be a very good way to do that. Problem with buying a movie from www.amazon.de is that it will come with region protection for Germany, and I will have to use up one of my region codes on my PC DVD player to decrypt it.

Just wondering... Thanks
    Vernon Jenewein
    jenefarm@direcway.com

Abit KV8MAX3, with AMD64 3200+
    Maxtor 120GB ATA133 IDE hard drive
    Maxtor 80GB SATA150 Hard drive
    Leadtek WinFast TV2000 Xpert video card
    1 GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR333
    Nvidia MX440 64MB DDR Video card
    Aopen 8X DVD R/RW/ combo
    Aopen 52X CD R/RW DVD combo
    Toshiba 16X DVD drive
    DW6000 Satellite 2-way Internet

Former Nebraskan.. "fix it with bailin' wire . "
  • Qyd
    Digital Video Technician
    Digital Video Technician
    • Oct 2002

don't know about dvd decrypter, bur smart ripper has 'region coding removal' enabled by default (you can see it in settings-files/backup-options-'region free')

dvd decrypter has an option in Tools-IFO-Region Patch-Region Free

Comment

• vljenewein
      • Jan 2003

I use the region patch - region free thing all the time with my DVDDECRYPTER program. Works great ! Would I need to get a movie that someone has already ripped and made "Region free" before I could use it on my DVD player?

If I bought a movie in Germany, at www.amazon.de it would more than likely be in PAL . I'm NTSC so I don't think I could watch it even if I owned an original copy. It would have to be in NTSC would it not?

Danke
      Vernon Jenewein
      jenefarm@direcway.com

Aopen 8X DVD R/RW/ combo
      Toshiba 16X DVD drive

Comment

• Fetchdaferret
        Gold Member
        Gold Member
        • Oct 2002

hey- depends on your player! (both questions)- and on your tv! My player doesn`t care about any region code- and plays back ntsc- as well as pal. so take a look at the manual. either way -you can watch pal dvds on your software player (pc).

besides- this is the german forum... - so give your german a try

Comment

• Qyd
          Digital Video Technician
          Digital Video Technician
          • Oct 2002

PAL/NTSC: it doesn't matter on a PC, as the output is progressive anyway (not interlaced)

standalone dvd player: most are region-locked, but can be made region free (hacked)

there are a few set-top dvdplayers that convert pal to ntsc on the fly (like jvc xv-n312 for example)

Comment

• vljenewein
            • Jan 2003

Fetchdaferret Danke !! I can not spell German. I grew up around those that spoke it. Last name Jenewein, used to be spelled Jennewein. Mother was a Bernhardt. So I could attempt to spell it and give everyone a laugh.

Meine PC wird von mir errichtet. Ich habe ein Toshiba DVD und DVDÒNE-Programm zusammen mit DVDDECRYPTER. Faßt das TOSHIBA "PAL" an? Es gibt nur so viele zu verwendende Regioncodes. Ich möchte nicht sie alle oben benutzen. Wenn ich den Film entschlüsseln kann, kann ich die Regionsache ausbessern.

meine Nüsse haben bessere Tage gesehen.
            Vernon Jenewein
            jenefarm@direcway.com

Aopen 8X DVD R/RW/ combo
            Toshiba 16X DVD drive

Comment

• Fetchdaferret
              Gold Member
              Gold Member
              • Oct 2002

whew- i`m not sure if i got that ! anyway- your dvd drive doesn`t care about ntsc or pal- it`s just "data" for it. so it will read or rip it just as you want. what could be indeed a problem is the fact, that you can cange the drives region code only a few times before it`s locked (that`s what you where talking about) BUT: there are tools to override the drives region protection- dvdgenie is just one of them (not sure if i spelled it right). With one of them you can change your toshibas region code as often as you want!

ehm.. does this solve your problem? or do you actually want to watch them on your standalone player? cause this is still a problem- the region code can be removed, but the pal/ntsc problem resides...!

well- hope i could help you!

Comment

• vljenewein
                • Jan 2003

Well, I checked with "Drive Region Info" ver 2.2 Eric VanDen Berg's program, and it says of my Toshiba drive, "This drive has no region protection" Also with Disc Info 1.5.5 that the Toshiba "No Lock Detected" I flashed the Toshiba some time back and recently flased it with another Hex firmware that not only removed the region lock but also removed the speed throtle it had when ripping a DVD. Interstinly, when I check it in Control Panel, System, Device Manager, DVD drives, Toshiba and check the region info, it shows that there is only 1 code left to change. But is is supposedly ALL regions now.

Yes going from PAL to NTSC might give me a fit on a set top player. Unless I use some program to resize or change th video from Pal to NTSC. Is there such a program?
                Vernon Jenewein
                jenefarm@direcway.com

Aopen 8X DVD R/RW/ combo
                Toshiba 16X DVD drive