Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patcat88
    • Nov 2001

Laserdisc digital ripping

I have some Laserdiscs I got at a flea market and I wish to turn them into divx. I know laserdisc is digital format but I can't find any computer drives for them (they are too big to fit in a drive space). I know there are anolog players but I don't have a capture card and anolog video has a irratating quality problem when turned into divx. These laserdisc movies aren't available on DVD. Can anyone point me to a external Laserdisc drive for a computer? Or how to digitally rip it?
  • Mark Madness
    • May 2002

You can't digitally rip a laserdisc. The video is stored in an analog format as opposed to DVD's digital format. You would have to use a capture card.

Comment

• patcat88
      • Nov 2001

Originally posted by Mark Madness
      You can't digitally rip a laserdisc. The video is stored in an analog format as opposed to DVD's digital format. You would have to use a capture card.
      It isn't ones and zeros on the disc? How is it stored? Refelctivity of the disc?

Comment

• Mark Madness
        • May 2002

It has the pits and lands of any other optical disc but the information is luminance, chrominance, sync etc... properties of a composite analog video instead of video compression algorithms on a DVD. That is why you get video noise off of a laserdisc.

Comment

• cplevel42
          • Jun 2002

Nope, the video is NOT digital, but the sound IS. The sound is separate from the picture. You can do what I do:

Buy a cheap LD Player off of Ebay
          Connect it to a Capture card - I use ATI all in wonder (works nice)
          Catpure the sound with composite
          Capture the video using the S-video port for better resolution.
          cplevel42@attbi.com

Comment

Working...