Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yodaj007
    • Aug 2002

DivX encoding and quality questions

I've just a question about frame decimation in VirtualDub. It seems to REALLY cut down on the file size, but at a great price on quality. I'm decimating every 7th frame and the motion of the video is ok.

Is it better for me to reduce the bit rate? I'm trying to store 24 minute cartoon episodes in less than 120 Mb. Are there any suggestions for the best way to do this? Right now I'm using DivX 5. I also have the DivX low motion and fast motion codecs.

Oh, if I may ask one more question: if you have a video stream encoded at 100 Mbits/s, what happens if you re-encode it at 200? Does anything happen at all?

Thanks guys,

Jason D
    DivX NewB
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

I've just a question about frame decimation in VirtualDub. It seems to REALLY cut down on the file size, but at a great price on quality. I'm decimating every 7th frame and the motion of the video is ok.
    What is your source type? If it is originally-FILM NTSC material, you should use Inverse Telecine (IVTC). Otherwise, for decimating, use Decimate 1 frame every 5 frames. IMHO, IVTC should yield better results.

And what bitrate are you using? That is the one that would directly affect the filesize of the video file, not the video frame rate.

if you have a video stream encoded at 100 Mbits/s, what happens if you re-encode it at 200? Does anything happen at all?
    You get a video with larger filesize, but quality-wise, there won't be any marked improvement.

Comment

Working...