Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • berserk
    • Aug 2002

help! DV --> >DivX

I need help about making a movie from my digital camera sony pc-100 (firewire connected) to DivX. I tried with Adobe Premier but the frames freeze and the quality il lower than a ripped dvd. Can anyone help me ?
    I need help about the size, data ratio, compression, etc..
    Thank you for the patience , i want to learn !
  • Nielchiano
    • Aug 2002

It's logical that a DV movie is less quality than a DVD (ripped or not) because DV IS lower quality...

I'm not realy sure about this, but a DV camera captures at 25 fps (at least Europeans do, US maybe not) at a resolution of 360*288.
    A (european) DVD is 720*576. so it's logical that DVD is better...

Hope I answered your question,
    Nielchiano
    We were all newbies once... and we all needed some help once, so lets once help the newbies.

Comment

• berserk
      • Aug 2002

Actually my capturing resolution is 720x576 , 29.97 fps, it's no selectable so i think it's the real res.
      I can't find an optimal configuration for realize a good video as good as a dvdrip.
      i am recording home vhs tapes into dv-cam then via firewire i'd like to compress them and put into cd using premier. Any idea ?

Comment

• Nielchiano
        • Aug 2002

Ok, now wyou're telling the complete story. I captured in Premier too, and it DOES tell you that he captures at 720*576, but the files I got out (AviSynth) were not that resolution.... So I don't realy know.

But your real problem is: you start of VHS... that's like expecting a MC (music casette, those things with magnetic tape on them, if you still know them), converted to MD (=MiniDisc) to sound equaly good than a CD --> MD.

A VHS tape is (looking from now adays technology) BAD. The theoretical resolution (theoretical, because it's analogue) is about 320*240... wich is under the resulution of your camera, and WAY under DVD... so you can't possibly get an immage that good.

At this moment, DVD is the best video-carrier around (for public... BetaCam etc are better, but not so popular)
        We were all newbies once... and we all needed some help once, so lets once help the newbies.

Comment

• boloog
          • May 2002

Why assuming that the source is VHS.. The source seems to be a DV camcorder. Resolution (pal) is 720x576. The quality of DV compression is far better then DVD. Maybe that's why you see quality issues sooner. Did you try de-interlacing. DV is interlaced, interlaced video does not look very good on a PC

Comment

• boloog
            • May 2002

OOps, didn't read very good, the source was VHS. Sorry. With VHS source use lower resolution (or convert to MPEG1)

Comment

Working...