Hacked Fraunhofer-IIS codec question - dealing with short pauses near end of movies

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • qualitycatalyst
    Junglist
    • Apr 2002

Hacked Fraunhofer-IIS codec question - dealing with short pauses near end of movies

Whenever I watch CD-r burnt divx movies straight off the CDrom, its fine up until the last 20-30 minutes, it may vary but it usually occurs with most divx I play now...hardware of software problem? Who knows? I did some research:

Okay now, I read the newbies guide faq (Nicky's Pages Digital Solutions), under the Audio section for the catagory:

"The Audio is out of Synch! Why does this happen & how can I fix it?"

I believe I have problem number four....
    4. The Hacked Fraunhofer-IIS codec sets the bitrate of the audio incorrectly. For instance, a 48Kbit stream has a specified rate of 6000 bytes/sec, when in reality the stream is about 5971 bytes/sec. This 0.0048% difference may not seem like much, except that it causes the audio to race past the video approximately one second for every 200 seconds of video. VirtualDub is the only compressor that fixes this as far as I know.

Now the only reason I can arguably reject that this isn't the problem: Like I said, only occurs near the end of movies, plus I'm playing off a CD, it may just be a buffering data problem where the data isn't being sent fast enough.

But then again, reasons that it may be true, I am familar with the codec Fraunhofer-IIS ... it sounds really familiar, like as if Winamp configured this to be my default outwave sound (Im not sure!)...but anyhow, it seems like the sound will continue and the visual will pause for a little less than a second, it'll vary from a very breif pause to a full second, and then the visual will speed up REALLY quick to catch up to where the audio is.

My main question is: The solution that it gives isn't very detailed,

[If I used VirtualDub, what would I do with it?!?!]

I don't want to re-edit the movie [like copy back to harddrive and then let it fix the errors and then have to burn that movie file again] just so that the sound and visual will be compatable, all Im hoping for is a way to find a plugin or a option that I can change so that this problem is fixed. I'd hate to have to make new CDs for the movies. Any one with similar experiences and issues with any suggestions are appriciated, thanks!
    Last edited by qualitycatalyst; 9 Sep 2002, 04:56 PM.
    Lighter massive! Call for the REEEEWIND!
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"Like I said, only occurs near the end of movies, plus I'm playing off a CD, it may just be a buffering data problem where the data isn't being sent fast enough."

Since this is frequently the problem, I'd suggest that you copy one of these files to your hard drive and play it from there. If the problem does not exhibit itself when playing from the hard drive you'll have then isolated it as a CD playback problem.

If available to you on your system, and not already done, turn on DMA for your CD drive...

Comment

• qualitycatalyst
      Junglist
      • Apr 2002

Thanks for your advice, setarip!

Comment

• qualitycatalyst
        Junglist
        • Apr 2002

Ummmm, it doesn't seem like DMA settings for my DVD-rom are availible through my version of windows (XP). Anyone know if its hidden or somewhere else? I checked Device Manager, no luck in finding it, it was there in Windows ME 98SE and 95, don't know why I'm having trouble finding DMA settings...

Any possiblity I might need to buy a new DVD drive? Any other issues?

My computer is a P3 733 Mhz PC133 mHZ bus speed for Ram and Processor

352MB SD ram PC133

Asus P3 Motherboard

32 MB Asus AGP Video card

Soundblaster live!

16X DVD 40X CD rom - Hitachi

24X10X40X CDRW Drive

But I doubt my system (hardware has any problems sending information)
        except for the fact that I burn a good ammount of CDs and then once in a while I might get a buffer underrun, Like once out of every 40-50 CDs...

Comment

Working...