Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • geemayb
    • Sep 2002

Newbie needs help with an avi movie file

I downloaded several movies from a site. All but 2 worked. They are all in avi format. I used avi codec to analyze the files and it said unknown format. Then I used gspot and it said not a valid avi file, bad header. Does this mean if I fix the header it will work, and if so how would I do that? Or should I just delete the movies?

Thanks in advance.
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Open each movie in Virtualdub and go to File -> File Information. Post what information you see here.

Comment

• geemayb
      • Sep 2002

The files won't open. It says can't determine file type.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

They are probably corrupt or phony files - a common "price to pay" when downloading (rather than creating) videos...

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

It is also likely to be a non-AVI format (the files you have have had their extensions changed to .avi). As far as I can tell, Virtualdub won't open Quicktime, Realmedia and .viv formats. Try using their respective players and see if it works.

Comment

• geemayb
            • Sep 2002

I tried all of the above. Nothing will open these files. I have a feeling that someone didn't know how to create them correctly. I doubt that they are fake since they are each almost 200 mb's. I guess I'll just delete them. Thanks so much for your help.

Comment

Working...