Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vvume
    • Nov 2002

DVD on a CD?

Can you create a DVD on a CD? I have 3 MPEG-2 Files which fit a CD and wondering if I can make a DVD using a regular CD. Would Home DVD Players have a problem accessing DVD material off a CD?

Thanx in advance
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"Would Home DVD Players have a problem accessing DVD material off a CD?"

Yes, unless your standalone DVD player is one of the (very) few which will read "Mini-DVD"s...

Comment

• HaroldW
      • Nov 2002

There is a "chance" that if you just burn the MPEG-2 files to CD that you may be able to view them without going through the hassle of making a SVCD or XSVCD or miniDVD (i'm not positive that miniDVD is the right term for what you were trying to describe.) Some standalone DVD players will play raw mpeg files. I have three different standalone DVD players that I bought for campatibility reasons (they Play VCD, XVCD, CVD, SVCD, XSVCD, JPEG, MP3....) and they have this feature.

Comment

• gd_nimrod
        • Nov 2002

What's the difference between VCD and CVD?
        Did you know you can SEARCH the forum? Fixes common problems too:
        http://forum.digital-digest.com/search.php

Also search on the whole Digital-Digest website:
        http://www.digital-digest.com/search.html

Comment

• HaroldW
          • Nov 2002

CVD is an acronym for Chinese Video Disk. If you take the SVCD specification and change it to 352 x 480 resolution that is basically the CVD specification. Since there are less pixtels in CVD resolution (352 x 480) vice SVCD resolution (480 x 480) you can get more time (at the same video bitrate), or a higher video bitrate on the same sized CD, vice SVCD. I personally believe there are more standalone DVD players out there that can play CVD than SVCD, since SVCD is an "odd" resolution and VCD is "half" DVD resolution.

Main differences between VCD and CVD:

VCD (NTSC) 352 x 240 res, MPEG-1
          CVD (NTSC) 352 x 480 res, MPEG-2

Comment

Working...