Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shihyao
    • Dec 2002

Something wrong with MPEG-4 codec?!

Due to I re-install my Windows Media Player (latest version), my PC can't encode MPEG file to AVI format anymore! Windows Media Player always prompted me "file may be corrupted or not supported".

Even though I have re-install Windows Media Codec 7.1, 8, 9 and DivX Pro 5.0.2 step by step. I still unable to encode AVI format using these codecs. What's wrong with it?

For your information, I am using EO-Video v1.301 and my PC configuration as below: -

Processor : Intel Pentium III 664.45MHz
    RAM : 384MB
    Operating System : Windows 2000 (Service Pack 2)

Hope somebody may give me advise. Thank you!
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

What are you using to encode the files? Virtualdub?

Comment

• shihyao
      • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Enchanter
      What are you using to encode the files? Virtualdub?
      I am using EO-video v1.301 to encode MPEG to AVI. I also tested on Virtualdub, but still same result.

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

To convert an MPG file to AVI in Virtualdub, check that you have done the following:
        1. Open MPG file in VD.
        2. Set Video and Audio tabs to Full Processing Mode.
        3. Under Video, select Compression and choose the DivX codec. Configure the settings, as required.
        4. Under Audio, select Compression and select a codec (eg. MP3). Choose a desired bitrate (eg. 128kbps).
        5. If the source resolution is not divisible by 16, you will need to resize it to conform to the factor-of-16 requirement. Use the Resize filter with Precise Bicubic mode.
        6. Go to File -> Save as AVI and give a name to the new file.

Additionally, you may want to try playing the resultant AVI in WMP6.4 (run the command 'mplayer2.exe' in the Run command).

Comment

• shihyao
          • Dec 2002

To convert an MPG file to AVI in Virtualdub, check that you have done the following:
          1. Open MPG file in VD.
          2. Set Video and Audio tabs to Full Processing Mode.
          3. Under Video, select Compression and choose the DivX codec. Configure the settings, as required.
          4. Under Audio, select Compression and select a codec (eg. MP3). Choose a desired bitrate (eg. 128kbps).
          5. If the source resolution is not divisible by 16, you will need to resize it to conform to the factor-of-16 requirement. Use the Resize filter with Precise Bicubic mode.
          6. Go to File -> Save as AVI and give a name to the new file.

Additionally, you may want to try playing the resultant AVI in WMP6.4 (run the command 'mplayer2.exe' in the Run command).
          Thank you for your guide.

However, I still unable to encode AVI. WMP6.4 prompted "Cannot play back the file. The format is not supported."

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

Try reinstalling DirectX and the DivX codec. You may want to try upgrading to SP3 as well.

Comment

• shihyao
              • Dec 2002

Try reinstalling DirectX and the DivX codec. You may want to try upgrading to SP3 as well.
              Same result after I upgrade to SP3, re-install DirectX and DivX codec. I still unable to encode MPEG to AVI or vice versa.

Other solution can suggest? I appreciate all you have done for me! Thank you!

Comment

• Enchanter
                Old member
                • Feb 2002

What I can think of is that the process is corrupted half-way through. If your CPU supports toning down of its speed (for example, when not connected to the main power supply), try encoding that way. I've had one laptop that does not run stable at its full-speed, but completely stable (and problem-free) when slowed down.

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

"I am using EO-Video v1.301"

Uninstall and then reboot and reinstall this program...

Comment

Working...