Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gikstar
    • Dec 2002

HELP - Unknown Audio Compression says VirtualDub

I can view the video file just fine using WinDVD 4 since I have the DivX 5.0.2 codec but get no audio. What am I missing? VirturalDub's file information on this .avi gives me the following:

Video Stream---
    Frame Size 608x256, 23.976 fps
    # of Frames 90349 (1:02:48)
    Decompressor: DivX Pro 5.0.2 Codec
    Number of Key Frames 2084

Audio Stream---
    Sampling Rate: 48000Hz
    Channels: 5 (Stereo)
    Sample Precision: 0-bit
    Compression: Unknown (tag 2000)
    Preload skew: 28000 samples (0.58s)
    # of Frames: 90339
    Min/avg/max/total frame size: 28/2335/28000 (206078k)

I get an error message when I try to convert the audio to something else.
    Am I missing some kind of audio file?

Thank you for your help.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"Compression: Unknown (tag 2000)"

This is indicative of an audiostream in .AC3 format.

Download and install/Register with Windows an .AC3 filter/codec - and play the .AVI with Windows Media Player.

What has me somewhat perplexed, however, is your statement that WinDVD v.4 plays the video with no audio. Perhaps this latest version of WinDVD has diminished capacity regarding .AVI with.AC3 audio playback. I say this because I've used version 3 to play a multitude of such files with no such deficiency (Although it plays back and recognizes the auio as 2 channel stereo, when, in fact, it is 5.1)

Comment

• gikstar
      • Dec 2002

It Works now - Thanks

Thank you. I downloaded NimoLite which includes the AC3 codec and now the movie plays correctly... and so do some other movies that I've sat on trying to figure out why I couldn't get any sound.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Thank you. I downloaded NimoLite which includes the AC3 codec and now the movie plays correctly... and so do some other movies that I've sat on trying to figure out why I couldn't get any sound."

My pleasure ;>}

I am, however, still curious about your earlier statement that WinDVD4 played these files without audio. Is it possible you actually meant to say "Windows Media Player"?

Comment

• gikstar
          • Dec 2002

"I am, however, still curious about your earlier statement that WinDVD4 played these files without audio. Is it possible you actually meant to say "Windows Media Player"?"

I got excellent video quality when running the .avi with WinDVD4 but had no sound. Now that I have downloaded the AC3 audio I can see and hear the movie in WinDVD4. It now works in WMP too.

Comment

Working...