X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jansensan
    • Nov 2002

How to extract a sound file from a DVD?

Hello all...

I followed the guide on how to make a dvd2avi project file. It gave me the foolowing files (shown in attached document).

So I decided to encode with GordianKnot following another of this site's guide. It gave me a soundless avi file. I remember it happened before... then I merged the soundless file with a mp3 file in Nandub and it worked properly.

However this time, I got ac3 files and i think they're all different parts of the whole film... anywho, I'd like to know how to make a mp3 from what i have or from the extraced dvd files, so I could then merge it in Nandub.

Any help is appreciated. Thanx a bunch in advance!
    Attached Files
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

Re: How to extract a sound file from a DVD?

Originally posted by jansensan
    However this time, I got ac3 files and i think they're all different parts of the whole film
    No the ac3 files are not from different parts of the movie, they are different audio tracks, each containing the entire soundtrack, but in different languages or with directors comments.

The one that has 448kbps in the file name is obviously the main one. Get Besweet and a besweet gui and convert it to mp3.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• jansensan
      • Nov 2002

Thanx.... I did download that Besweet thing... however, when I pick the input (the ac3 file path) and the output (the mp3 file path) and as well the encoder there doesnt seem to be a 'save as' button... when i click ok, it just brings me back to the main menu...

What do I do? the guides i found seem to say it's obvious but it ain't...

Thanx in advance...

Comment

• khp
        The Other
        • Nov 2001

I'll admit the gui can be a bit difficult to work with.

You need to set the outputtype to mp3 in the main besweet window (see attachment picture), and then set the in- and outputs for besweet (not the mp3 output for lame). Then the 'AC3 to MP3' button should turn green.
        Attached Files

Comment

• jansensan
          • Nov 2002

Originally posted by khp
          I'll admit the gui can be a bit difficult to work with.
          You betcha! I actuallay tired to follow guides (mostly this one http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/ac3tomp3.htm) but when I finally hit the ac3 to mp3 button, there is a message that says 'elapsed time: 00:00' and then it's as if nothing happened...

If you find better guides or if i could say what i did wrong, go ahead

thanx!

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

If all you want to achieve is extract the audio off the DVD in the form of MP3, perhaps you could try this alternative:
            1. Rip audio to WAV using Graphedit/Vob2audio
            2. If you wish, you can amplify the volume of the audio using an audio editor, such as Cooledit
            3. Convert the WAV to MP3 using an mp3 encoder, such as LAME
            4. Mux the MP3, with the video you have created, using nandub

To Create the required LST file (by Graphedit/Vob2audio), open a TXT file (renamed to LST) and input the following:
            E:\Folder\VTS_01_1.VOB
            E:\Folder\VTS_01_2.VOB
            E:\Folder\VTS_01_3.VOB
            E:\Folder\VTS_01_4.VOB
            E:\Folder\VTS_01_x.VOB (The last VOB in the series)

For extracting audio from one VOB file only, you don't need to go though the creation of a .lst file.

Comment

• khp
              The Other
              • Nov 2001

Originally posted by jansensan

If you find better guides or if i could say what i did wrong, go ahead
              If you could try executing, the commandline that Besweet displays, in a command prompt, and check what error message you get. And if you could post the commandline here as well, that might help me figure out what went wrong.

Another easy option would be to let GKnot do the conversion, go to the conversion tab in GK, click 'add job', go to the audio1 tab, select the AC3 file and select mp3 encoding, and click add audio job to encoding queue in the audio1 tab.

Comment

• jansensan
                • Nov 2002

Originally posted by khp
                (...) go to the conversion tab in GK, click 'add job', go to the audio1 tab, select the AC3 file and select mp3 encoding, and click add audio job to encoding queue in the audio1 tab.
                Yo that's exactly what I forgot to do when I first divx-ed my extracted dvd! I didnt select the sound processing... thankx a bunch! it worked perfectly (as for converting the ac3 also)

Comment

Working...