Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toka_shigazu
    • Feb 2002

MPEG2 to SVCD help

I have used pinnacle studio 7 to make an MPEG2 movie file, it is 3.2 Gb in size. I use DVD2SVCD and am used to backing up some of my DVD's onto two SVCD discs. Is there any way of compressing the mpeg file I've created and making two image files as DVD2SVCD does so that i can use nero to burn two discs. I want to try to keep the quality as it does when I back up DVD's.
    I have tried using Studio 7 to make a SVCD but the quality is blocky, then nero has to convert it to SVCD to burn it and the quality is again reduced, and quite often the file size increases again.
    Please any help would be appreciated, I am quite good with DVD2SVCD but cant think of any way to use this to get my result, is there any way?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Use TMPGEnc (includes SVCD wizard/template for ease of conversion)...

Comment

• toka_shigazu
      • Feb 2002

mpeg2 to svcd help

thanks, i have tried to use it but not sure exactly how.
      the original file was made using studio 7 and compiled as a dvd compatible, 720x576, 6000Kbits/sec movie.
      it created a mpeg 1 layer 2, 2 channel, joint stareo, at 48000 Hz at 3.2Gb. i try to load it into the wizard but it says cannot open or unsupported.
      could anyone help or direct me to the appropriate help site.

My idea is that if i can compess a dvd film that may be bigger than 3GB into SVCD format onto 2 discs then it must be easier to do the same to my film as i dont have to rip the film etc and go through all that process. is my thinking flawed??

could i output my movie from Studio 7 as an avi file, and then use tmpgenc to compress it or would that just end in a larger avi file and a movie[once through tmpgenc] that was still 3Gb?

Please help. thanks...

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Have you installed the (MPEG2) REQUIRED companion VFAPI file?

Comment

• toka_shigazu
          • Feb 2002

MPEG2 to SVCD help

thnaks have done as suggested but it will only allow me to add it to the video input, i cannot then use the movie in the audio input.
          i will try to extract the audio from the video by using the mpeg tolls in the file menu. i will see if it will then accept both these new files in the wizzard.
          i apprediate your help, if i'm missing something please advise and thanks!!

Comment

• toka_shigazu
            • Feb 2002

MPEG2 to SVCD help

another question re the above, as with dvd2svcd the program makes images that essebtially you copy as if they were a cd using an image mounting program and nero or the like. is there any benfit to doing it this way, or making the movie as in tmpgenc then cutting it into two or three sections and using nero to then compile the relative svcd using its wizard.
            my own thoughts seem to be that imaging gives better quality end results, nero doesnt always like your file format and when it converts it i end up losing quality and with a larger file.
            if imaging is the way forward is there any way of inputting the video and audio data into dvd2svcd and letting it make the images as it does when backing up dvd's?

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

DO NOT USE NERO TO CREATE THE SVCD (only to burn as SVCD)!

Use TMPGEnc to create the SVCD - and to split as is necessary:
              TMPGEnc>>File>>MPEGTools>>Merge&Cut... (Make certain mode is set to "MPEG2-SuperVideoCD")

(I can't stress this enough ;>})

Comment

• toka_shigazu
                • Feb 2002

Thanks i kind of thought that would be the case. i have decided to speed things up by splitting the movie into two in studio 7 so that i can try methods out.
                i split the audio stream from the mpeg file using the tools option and then inputted this file and the original movie file in the svcd wizard. it seems to be working. will it give me an image file to work with at the end?

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

"will it give me an image file to work with at the end?"

No, it will give you an MPEG2-SuperVideoCD formatted file, which you can then burn (by clicking on the "SuperVideoCD" icon) with NERO...

By the way, after clicking on the "SuperVideoCD" icon, click on the "SuperVideoCD" (or does it simply say "VideoCD"?) tab and UNcheck the "Compliant" option...

Comment

• toka_shigazu
                    • Feb 2002

have checked and it does ask in the svcd option [in nero] about a compliant file, i have unchecked the box.
                    tmpgenc is compressing the 1.6 gb movie in the wizard form now [3hrs to go] i will then burn a disc to see what it looks like.
                    thanks for being patient, i have only recently bought a dv camcorder and this will help greatly until i can afford a dvd burner.
                    if i get in any further trouble i will let you know.

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

Be aware that you can typically burn only 35-40 minutes of SVCD-format playing time on a 700Mb/80min CD-R...

Comment

• toka_shigazu
                        • Feb 2002

this is something that has puzzled me, i picked the option in tmpgenc that seemed to allow for 40 mins of svcd. the time for this part of my movie is about 37 mins so i take it i will be able to burn this direct.
                        if however i had used the full movie, 1hr 14 mins then tmpgenc would still have worked but the resulting file would have been too big to burn to one disc. how would i go about getting this file onto the right number of discs?

Comment

• setarip
                          Retired
                          • Dec 2001

"how would i go about getting this file onto the right number of discs?"

I guess you didn't read my earlier response:

Use TMPGEnc to create the SVCD - and to split as is necessary:
                          TMPGEnc>>File>>MPEGTools>>Merge&Cut... (Make certain mode is set to "MPEG2-SuperVideoCD")

Comment

• toka_shigazu
                            • Feb 2002

sorry my mistake! i understand that now.
                            is there a better way of dealing with the audio stream? is there a plugin that will allow the same mpeg file to be inputted as the video and audio source, or does this complicate things.
                            also my use of the de-multiplex function in mpeg tools to get the audio stream out and into a separate file, is that the best way to do it?

Comment

• setarip
                              Retired
                              • Dec 2001

"mpeg 1 layer 2, 2 channel, joint stareo, at 48000 Hz"

This should be perfectly acceptable to TMPGEnc. I don't know why it would be "rejected". Be that as it may, you seem to have figured out how to get the audio into an acceptable format.

In light of this problem, in the future, if possible under Pinnacle, save the audio as Uncompressed PCM (.WAV) format. This will make for a larger initial file, but TMPGEnc is definitely going to accept the audiostream for input.

By the way (although the "wizard" should automatically take care of this) - make certain that the created SVCD file includes audio at 44,100Hz and NOT at 48,000Hz...

Comment

Working...