X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alisol
    • Sep 2002

directx 9

Hi,

does anyone have some feedback with directx 9? specially for windows 2000?
    Thanks
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

No effect on video en-/de-coding on my WinXP SP1 systems at all. No benefit, but no harm done either.

Comment

• Pes
      • Jan 2003

not bad, but no improvment either

Comment

• ShuMO
        • Dec 2002

no changes here either

I ran my test files against it and saw no change in encode time. From my limited understanding, the main features of D9 are support of certain functions in planar calculations, mostly for resolution and performance gains. Also, only the ATI 9700 has any support / use of the new features in their new Catalyst drivers 3.0 but its so limited it almost seems non-existent.

Excerpt from MS web:
        DirectX 9.0 improves the graphics, security, and performance of your operating system.

Q. Are there any immediate benefits to installing DirectX 9.0?

A. DirectX 9.0 compatible video card and driver , you may see a visual improvement in games that were designed with DirectX 9.0 in mind.

Improvements to DirectPlay let computers within a Windows Me or Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing network connect with each other, as well as with players elsewhere on the Internet. Users with modern UPnP network routers no longer need to configure them for DirectPlay, because DirectPlay will open and close the multiplayer gaming ports as needed.
        ShuMO

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

It would be safe to say that DX9 will mostly benefits gamers only. After all, the main highlights of DX9 are new or improved 3D features.

And truly, only the newest generation of cards will be able to fully take advantage of the new features. These cards include the Matrox Parhelia, ATI Radeon 9700 (Pro) and (I'm sure) nVidia Geforce FX (did not seem to be able to totally beat the King after all).

Comment

• techno
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Nov 2001

correct what u said enchanter about DX 9 for gamers, it was designed for that anyway, and for crappy onboard video.

I have had benefits on ALL OS's with my capture card, better quality, less frame drops (not that there was b4, but we are talking about 1 frame droppage per minute!) and also, it's faster at encoding to MPEG2 ... somehow!

for me...GR8! and no, i ain't just saying it because I love MS! I am saying it because I have seen it with my own 2 eyes, and so has my friends!

Techno

Comment

Working...