• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SKD_Tech
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2003

SoundBlaster Live

I am buying the Altec Lansing 5100 series speakers. I've got 2 questions and I would be very thankful if they were answered....

1. Will my SoundBlaster Live have the capability of 5.1 Surround?

2. Does anyone have these speakers? If so can I please have some feedback on how they proform..

Thanks
    Jake
    Here is the site for the speakers
  • The Maynard
    • Jan 2003

I would avoid Sound Blaster like it was the plague, if I were you. They have the most horrible driver issues, expecially if you have a motherboard with a VIA chipset. They are resource hogs and cause many IRQ conflicts.
    I've used one in 3 different systems with 3 different chipsets and there were nothing but problems. Don't buy one.

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

Consider the Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1 instead. They should be priced close to the Live! 5.1, perform and sound far better.

Worth considering is the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz as well, though you may have trouble finding it since they have reached the end-of-life product cycle.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Jan 2003

Hey where can I find information on the Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1?? I am guessing it is 7.1 capable... I am also assuming it is a 24 bit card.

SKD_Tech

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

The Hercules website will have info on the card. I'm kind enough to do a search for you and provide the relevant link.

I am also assuming it is a 24 bit card
          Please don't expect too much at this kind of price . . .

The Audigy 1 is a 24-bit card, but its DACs are inferior to even the Fort III and hence its sound quality will not really please (the only reason to get an A1 is for its superior EAX gaming support. Otherwise, there are better alternatives out there).

Comment

• techno
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Nov 2001

what u said about the VIA chipset is correct! VIA SUCK!

It's best if u buy a motherboard with an Intel Chipset, especially from ASUS, number one in the world!

The soundblaster live will not have the same compatability as the soundblaster live 5.1!

they made 2 different cards, I was selling them for the same price about 3-4 months ago, since I got it for nearly nothing from my distributer.

O, and the audigy live retail, with live drive SUX!

it wrecked my PC completly, I had 2 HDD's and 4 OS's on them, never worked on any of them! AT ALL, even using the web drivers!
            it got so serious on XP that it produced a stop error!

Spent 2 hours on an international phone call, and they couldn't even solve it! stupid creative

I feel sorry for the ppl who are gonna buy the audigy 2, *silence*

I wanted a good soundcard after 5 years with my Creative 128PCI, does me good! so I bought that, and I was after the remote control, hehehe, but it was a disaster!

So now, I have my trusty PCI128 in the machine, removed the SB LIVE I put in once since it doesn't like my music creation software!

Sorry for this long post just giving input

Comment

• Enchanter
              Old member
              • Feb 2002

I feel sorry for the ppl who are gonna buy the audigy 2
              Just clarifying a few things. The A2 is a marked improvement over the A1, especially on sound quality issues (now that un-Creative has decided to use better DACs). Finally the new 24-bit card deserves to be a rival to the 2-year-old 16-bit Santa Cruz (took CL that long to raise their sound quality standard to the competition, despite what the ads keep saying).

Comment

• techno
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Nov 2001

lol. hmm, not after the experience I had with the first version/card, I rather spit on that box everytime I see it

Comment

• Enchanter
                  Old member
                  • Feb 2002

Have you actually tried using the Audigy 2 card and the updated driver yet?

Comment

• techno
                    Digital Video Master
                    Digital Video Master
                    • Nov 2001

yeh bud, been there done that at my workshop (the PC shop) customers wanted it so I put in what they want, I only got one card working out of 12! And they ain't dodgy either, I have even bought the cards from local shops and also internet companies, like jungle.com but had no success, I guess I have to be on the fone for double the amount as last time then.....

Techno

Comment

• Enchanter
                      Old member
                      • Feb 2002

I am currently waiting to get my hands on the M-audio Revolution. I hope it performs and sounds as good as it has been touted to be.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Jan 2003

OK I am thinking about buying the A1 what are the pro's and con's about it?? Thanks for the help so far guys

SKD_Tech

Comment

• Enchanter
                          Old member
                          • Feb 2002

The pros and cons of A1 . . . I can name a few:
                          Pro:
                          -. EAX 3.0 support (no other cards support this gaming API)
                          -. Price should be going down now that the A2 is out
                          -. Firewire port included (don't know how this differs from normal firewire cards)

Cons :
                          -. Inferior DAC (sound quality is not up there, despite what the ads say)
                          -. Inferior resampler (its 44.1KHz -> 48KHz resampling algorithm remains as bad as that of Live!)
                          -. PCI Bus Hog
                          -. Drivers full of bloatware

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • Jan 2003

OK enough about the soundcard I just went out and bought it... Haven't had the time to stick it in yet though. What about the speakers guys..

Comment

• Enchanter
                              Old member
                              • Feb 2002

Originally posted by SKD_Tech
                              OK enough about the soundcard I just went out and bought it... Haven't had the time to stick it in yet though. What about the speakers guys..
                              Ask the people over at 3DSS. They are the ones to ask regarding computer soundcards and speakers. State your budget and the main usage of the speakers.

Comment

Working...