Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mutka86
    • Feb 2003

reducing video quality

hey! im just wondering, is there any software out there that i can download that will let me reduce the quality in a video?
    my computer isnt the fastest thing at all and i want to be able to watch movies.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

1) Turn off all unnecessary programs running in the background

2) Reduce your desktop resolution

3) Reduce your desktop color depth

Comment

• The Edge
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Jan 2003

You could also try FFDshow.
      FFDSHOW is a DirectShow decoding filter for decompressing DivX, XviD, WMV, MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 movies. It's great IMHO. FFDSHOW consumes way less CPU power than original DivX codecs, even with maximum post-processing. At the same time the post-processing seems to give excellent quality results and allows more configuring than the original DivX 3/4/5 codec. It can even automaticly reduce post-processing if your CPU is getting overloaded. Give it a try

FFDshow

Edge
      "…I know the industry is formally opposed to that kind of thing [bootlegging] but I'm not. I don't have a problem with it at all." -- Paul McGuiness"

Comment

• mutka86
        • Feb 2003

i had more of an idea along the lines of a video editor that would allow me to open a video, strip it of its quality (so it looks like a cheap .asf format with all those grainy box things) so my computer can run it, and then save it as a completely new video file which would take up much less megabytes.

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

Originally posted by mutka86
          i had more of an idea along the lines of a video editor that would allow me to open a video, strip it of its quality (so it looks like a cheap .asf format with all those grainy box things) so my computer can run it, and then save it as a completely new video file which would take up much less megabytes.
          Isn't that what you just did as above?

You could consider creating VCDs out of them as well, since VCD playback takes very little resources.

Comment

Working...