X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • badvok
    • Sep 2002

Ripping sound problems - mp3 to pcm back into avi for converting to VCD

Hi

I'm tryingtio create a VCD from an AVI file. The audio os MP3 and the video Xvid. Normally I just rip the audio out with VirtualDub and then convert the WAV to a PCM WAV in Soundforge 6.0. Then i put the WAV back into the film with VDub thus making the audio a constant bit rate so i can then convert it to a VCD or SVCD in TMPGEnc. Yet this time the audio is well out. Like 5 seconds.

Anyboy had this problem before?
    Is there a quicker or more reliable way of ripping out the WAV and converting to a PCM WAV?

The film was G of NY, 2 CD.

Ta

badvok
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Try the following:

Simply use VirtualDub to save the audio stream as an Uncompressed PCM (WAV) file as follows:
    Load your original .AVI into VirtualDub
    From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save WAV" (Enter a new filename with a ".WAV" extender).Click on "OK"
    Then set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copying"
    Then save the .AVI as a silent .AVI (set "Audio" to "No audio" after you've saved the WAV file).
    Open TMPGEnc and "drag and drop" the silent .AVI onto it, then do the same with the .WAV file

Comment

• badvok
      • Sep 2002

If i save to WAV in VDub as suggested, won't it still be compressed and in variable bit format rather than the preferred constant format that TMPGEnc requires. Or do you mean rip ot the audio, convert it to contsant pcm then mix it together with TMPGEnc rather than VDub?

Thanks

Comment

• igotid24
        • Jan 2003

what exactly mean when you say "rip the audio out with virtualdub". as far as i know the only way to get only audio out with virtualdub is to do what setarip said, and if you did that there would be no need to bring that into any other program to convert it because it is already in the format that you need, an uncompressed pcm wav. so basically, do what setarip said.

Comment

• badvok
          • Sep 2002

there would be no need to bring that into any other program to convert it because it is already in the format that you need, an uncompressed pcm wav
          When VDub saves a WAV I thought that it was still compressed as the file size for a VDub WAV is around 80Mb for a CD. When I save it in Sound Forge as an uncompressed pcm WAV its around 1.2Gb.

So the question remains, whats the difference between just running the original file through TMPGEnc compared to saving the audio to a WAV then doing it via the 2 files in TMPGEnc. To me it seems that i've got variable mp3 audio still.

I'll try setarips suggestion although my tiny mind is stuggling with the logic of it all.

Ta

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

When VDub saves a WAV I thought that it was still compressed as the file size for a VDub WAV is around 80Mb for a CD.
            That is what happens when you set the Audio tab of Virtualdub to Direct Stream Copy.

Setting the Audio tab to Full Processing Mode and selecting 'Uncompressed [PCM]' from under the Compression menu will yield true uncompressed WAV file.

p.s. Use nandub instead of Virtualdub. nandub natively supports VBR MP3 stream and so suits your situation very well.

Comment

• badvok
              • Sep 2002

I did as you sugested Enchanter and saved the WAV using VDub as an uncompressed PCM. Then i used VDub to bring the audio back in as an MP3, 112, 44100Htz and it all worked just dandy. The reason why i've not gone straight to a VCD or SVCD is that i wanted to cut the AVI in half first as its to big for a SVCD.

This way you've shown me cuts out having to use another audio program. The reason why i did was becasue its in Nicky Pages guides. (he used Cool edit pro)

Thanks

Comment

• davexnet
                • Feb 2003

strictly speaking, it's not necessary to cut the AVI in half.
                From within tmpgenc/settings/advanced choose source range
                and select the minutes you need.
                Works great!
                Dave

Comment

• badvok
                  • Sep 2002

Thanks davexnet but i want to make 3 files out of 2 so i'm not burning 20 cds to watch 1 film. I feel more comfortable cutting in VDub and joining together.

Cheers

Comment

• Enchanter
                    Old member
                    • Feb 2002

Originally posted by badvok
                    I did as you sugested Enchanter and saved the WAV using VDub as an uncompressed PCM. Then i used VDub to bring the audio back in as an MP3, 112, 44100Htz and it all worked just dandy
                    Since you are creating VCD files, I don't recommend that you convert the audio back to MP3 (which results in loss of quality). I recommend that you input the decoded uncompressed WAV file into your audio editor, convert the sampling rate to 44.1 kHz, and save as WAV (not MP3). Input the re-saved WAV into TMPGEnc as the audio source.

Comment

Working...