X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QwErTyKb
    • Mar 2003

Tv-Out Cabling Question

Hello everyone,

I am seriously considering buying a video card with TV-Out capabilities but just have a quick question before I spend any money.

The reason I want a video card with TV-Out is to play movies etc from my computer to the TV in a different room. The TV is about 10-15 metres away from the computer.

I was wondering if there is a limit to how long the cable can be before you see a loss in picture quality and whatnot. If it helps, I will be using the composite connection, not the S-Video.

Thanks everyone
  • sneglen
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Oct 2002

I think they say that you shouldn't use cables longer than 20m

I use a 15M cable from my computer t our living room, and it looks great, the loss there is, is not noticeable, not what I can see anyway

If Nobody Bought Movies, Why Should They Continue To Make Them?

"Bull****" Neo To The Father Of The Matrix In Reloaded

Comment

• QwErTyKb
      • Mar 2003

Thanks for your reply sneglen.

What type of cable are you using? I.E. Composite, S-Video etc. Because I heard somewhere that S-Video can go a lot further than other cables.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Jan 2003

You can buy a Video signal amplifier if you need to go any farther or if you aren't satisfied with the output. You can pick it up at Radioshack at a store or on the internet

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

I have used Composite cable with my TV-out setup before and the picture, as far as I can tell, was excellent and did not exhibit anything that can possibly irritate. I will be trying out TV-out with S-video cable when I get the chance (I did not have the cable yet during the previous testing). I read that S-video should yield better picture quality than Composite and so I really was wondering how much better, if any, it can be. The distance of the PC to the TV is only about 5 metres though, so the case is not quite the same with yours.

Comment

• QwErTyKb
            • Mar 2003

Thanks a lot for everyones reply regarding this matter.

I have recently discovered that the cost of cabling is only a bit less than the cost of an audio/video transmitter. This particluar transmitter I am talking about is in the form of a kit. In other words, I would have to build it myself.

See the attached image to see what I am talking about.

The basic theory behind it is that it takes composite input, and then transmitts the signal much like a television station. I would be required to tune in a channel on my TV. So essentially, I would be making my computer a TV station (that would only work in my house of course ).

They said that this transmitter can transmit up to 20 metres, which is more than enough for what I need.

Is this a good idea? Or are there some obstacles that I have to overcome first, that I am unaware of?

Thanks again everyone
            Attached Files

Comment

• sneglen
              Platinum Member
              Platinum Member
              • Oct 2002

I would think that the quality of this transmitter wouldn't be as good as the one you will get when sendnig the signal through a cable, because of the way it will have to send. But it sound like a good idea, instead of having a mess of wires. But I would think it will mean a degration of the quality.

I'm no expert, but analog television signals aren't that good. since the whole signal have to be encoded into a single wire, whereas on Composit, the image have one wire and the sound have 2. On SVHS the image have 4 wires and the sound have 2.
              The more you have to put into one cable the worse it will look.

but perhaps someone else have had some experience with this transmitter.

Comment

• QwErTyKb
                • Mar 2003

The reason I am exploring this option is because if I did use cable, I would have to plug it into my VCR first as my TV doesn't have A/V inputs, it only has the standard analog coaxial socket.

So the video and audio signal would still have to be converted into 1 wire before it gets to the TV.

Comment

• sneglen
                  Platinum Member
                  Platinum Member
                  • Oct 2002

Aren't you linking your VCR to your Television through a scart connector??? If you are it is the same quality as if you used just the TV, the sund might be n Mono but the Quality of the image would be the same. If your not using a Scart connector to get it to your TV the quality might be the same as with the transmitter

And if your not using a scart cable, then see if your televisions have the connecor on the back of the set, the you can get a scart connecter with the different ports: SVHS, composit, and sound. or just run it through your VCR with a scart connector.

Comment

• febangers
                    • Mar 2003

Hi,
                    To connect the composite TV output signal from your video card to your TV, I think one of the best way is to use a TV antenna cable (75 ohms) and better a cable for dish.
                    It's what I use between my computer and a VCR locates 20 m far.

I also use the other SVideo output connected to a TV set.

Daniel

Comment

• Easier Way?
                      Gold Member
                      Gold Member
                      • Jan 2003

It is a pity more of us do not say where we are, as there is a big gulf between N America and Europe (!), the scart/svhs divide of course.
                      You will get minor banding and shadow artefacts if you use a single cable rf input on your TV. I don't know what is common in N America but composite is almost universal and would be a yellow socket which might be hidden behind a flap somewhere on your tv. If you find a 4 pin socket it will be svhs which is rare in Europe. Scart is great but is not supported by many computer set-ups.
                      I had considered an X-card which gives a scart output with 21 pins including stereo sound and seperate red, green and blue signals but the cable is really thick and I didn't fancy doing all that soldering.

Comment

• Enchanter
                        Old member
                        • Feb 2002

Just adding something here. I have tested S-video connection from the video card to TV, and I find that S-video quality is unmistakably better than Composite. Without getting too specific, I would say the picture looks much crisper and has more 'wow' factor.

Cheers.

Comment

• febangers
                          • Mar 2003

Hi,
                          For those people who wants to use a long (more than 20m)composite connection (composite, because they haven't the choice to use a SVideo one, which of course is better), beetwen a video card output and a TV placed in a different room,
                          I recommand, to make their own cable with little loss using a cheap raw cable sold for TV antenna (75 Ohms) and 2 RCA connectors, yellow color if you like.

If the TV has only SCART connectors, sold one side of the raw cable to the appropriate pin of a male SCART.

Comment

• shiny#3
                            Digital Video Master
                            Digital Video Master
                            • Jul 2003

I do recommend a S-video cable The information of
                            brighness and contrast ar transmittet seperatly....
                            and there is much less interference especially in "long distance" transmission.... use thick.... well shielded cable

Comment

• stiernan
                              • Oct 2003

Broadcast it

x10.com has a video sender and receiver unit for around 60 bucks that will go 50-100 feet through walls, floors, etc. It works very well. I can send a video from my office to any TV in the house. There is even a remote that you can use from the other room.

Comment

Working...