How do you tell what avi compression has been used?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ianmcn
    • Mar 2003

How do you tell what avi compression has been used?

I have a compressed avi file, it just has the extension .avi, but it will not get played either in vegas or windows media player, presumably because I don't have the right compression codec installed, is there any software that will decompress any, or at least tell me what compression it is?!
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

GSPOT or Virtualdub

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

Re: How do you tell what avi compression has been used?

Originally posted by ianmcn
      I have a compressed avi file, it just has the extension .avi, but it will not get played either in vegas or windows media player, presumably because I don't have the right compression codec installed, is there any software that will decompress any, or at least tell me what compression it is?!
      To find out the file information of individual AVI files, do the following:
      1. Load up the AVI file into GSpot and post a screenshot of the information displayed here.

Alternatively:
      1. Open the file in Virtualdub
      2. Go to File -> File Information
      3. Post what information you see here

Being unable to play an AVI file indicates that you either don't have the required codec installed or the file is incomplete and hence needs to have its index reconstructed. In the latter case, you can use DivFix to do the task.

Comment

Working...