• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kimomakano
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Jun 2002

VirtualDub Question

At the risk of being slammed for "not searching", here I go. For the record, I have searched and not been satisfied with what I found.
    I have an ATI All-In-Wonder 128 Rage Pro card and my PC is 1.1Gz with 512 megs RAM.
    I have been using the MMC that came with my ATI card to capture analog video from VHS tapes to convert to digital so I can store home movies on DVD.
    I have heard that VirtualDub is supposed to be very efficient at capturing analog video. I have downloaded the "latest version" and am not quite sure how to go about capturing any video with my card.
    Maybe the MMC interface was way simpler for me or I am missing something way to obvious, but I can't seem to figure it out. I have gone to their site and looked at various forums, but it escapes me.
    Any help would be appreciated!!
  • SKD_Tech
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2003

Look at my site below click on guides and click on "Capturing Guides" and the bottom 2 are for VirtualDub

Comment

• kimomakano
      Platinum Member
      Platinum Member
      • Jun 2002

Thanks, these sites provide some real helpful information. What I am really looking for is something maybe much more basic.
      I am trying to find some sort of simple nuts & bolts tutorial on how to use VD.
      What I mean is, what steps do you use to start capture, end capture, select output file, etc. I realize that this may sound like I am a real idiot , but I can't seem to find this sort of thing.
      I tried to start a capture and couldn't find the record button, stop button, options button, etc. I also tried the menu bar at the top but just couldn't figure it out.
      Maybe I should just stick with MMC?

Comment

• SKD_Tech
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Jan 2003

Go to the Part 2 link and scroll to the bottom and use that. It has a really simplified without the BS version

Comment

• HaroldW
          • Nov 2002

kimomakano:

I just did some searching around the internet and couldn't find anything simple either, so I'll take about 15 minutes and give you an abreviated one.

Capture Setup in VirtualDub
          (Most of these steps start at the four dropdown menus at the top; File, Audio, Video and Capture.)

1. I suggest installing the HuffyUV codec. Download and run the install. It will decompress a few files. Right click the *.inf file and select install.
          2. Start VirtualDub
          3. Click File and then, Capture AVI (VirtualDub only captures in AVI Format.) It should then say capture mode in the title bar.
          4. Click Video and then Compression.
          5. In The Compression window highlight HuffyUV and click OK.
          6. Select sound format and framerate (icons bottom right corner, I believe initially the framerate is set to 15 fps, select 25 or 29.97 as appropriate.)
          7. Click Video and then Source.
          8. If you have the proper capture drivers installed then "Select a Video Device" should have something listed that sounds like it may be your capture card, for your particular situation it maybe something like: "ATI Rage Video Capture".
          9. Under "Select a Video Source:" you should have at least "Video Tuner and Video Composite" options. Select which one you will use the most.
          10. To select capture resolution, click Video and then Set Custom Format. Select the resolution and click OK.
          11. To Save these settings select Capture and then Preferences. In the Capture Preferences window you may want to set the default capture file name, folder and drive. Then put a check in all four "save" boxes and click OK.

To Capture:

1. Start VirtualDub
          2. Click File and then, Capture AVI.
          3. Click Capture and then Capture Video. The capture should start and you should see various data in the statistics section on the right of the VirtualDub screen.
          4. To stop capture, Click Capture and then Capture Video, a second time. Unfortunately there is no pause.
          5. If you want to switch between Composite and the TV Tuner the Click Video and then Source and then change it under "Select a Video Source:" If you have it set to TV and want to change the channel click the additional "TV Tuner" icon that shows up under the "Select a Video Source:" field (this area also allows to the first time around setup TV format (PAL/NTSC) and scan for channels.)

Harold
          Last edited by HaroldW; 18 Apr 2003, 05:01 AM.

Comment

• kimomakano
            Platinum Member
            Platinum Member
            • Jun 2002

Harold,
            Fantastic, this is exactly what I was looking for. I haven't tried it yet but will definitely print this one out and try it this week.
            I will let you know how it goes.
            Thanks for the effort and willingness to spend the time to help.

Comment

• kimomakano
              Platinum Member
              Platinum Member
              • Jun 2002

Harold, I tried it as you so courteously provided and it works great. I appreciate your taking the time to provide a step-by-step process. I was able to re-capture some files that I had done with the ATI Multi-Media Center and they came out much clearer and cleaner with Virtual Dub.
              I only wish I had know of this earlier since I spent a LOT of time trying to get the best quality. With Virtual Dub I could have had better quality with less work. I know now which one I will use.
              Thanks again.

Comment

Working...