• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SKD_Tech
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2003

My Matroska Test

Hey guys last night I encoded "The Edge" to the new Matroska Container with DivX 5.0.5 for compression.
    Duration 117 Minutes
    Bitrate 1496
    Audio CBR MP3 192KBS
    Resolution 640x272
    DivX 5.0.5 Original Single pass
    End file :1130MB (or around that I forgot the specifics)

The quality was great for the first 29 minutes and 47 seconds then VirtualDub said Error reading from bad block. Anyone got any suggestions?

The quality was a tad under DVD which I was really impressed with
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

after all matroska had nothing to do with your final quality

i would rather consider that a divx 5.05 'test'

Comment

• Batman
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Jan 2002

Most issues with Matroska seemed to be about with muxing certain audio formats, relatively long loading time, and an inability to seek within a file. Remember, this format is still in beta stages, so there are a lot of things that need to be improved.

Comment

• Qyd
        Digital Video Technician
        Digital Video Technician
        • Oct 2002

I just did a mkv file with DivX5.02 and mp3; it plays fine in core and mplayer2; still untill seeking is solved I will stick to avi.
        And now I opened the mkv file in VDubMod, and it starts reparsing it. Just as if it wouldn't have an index block?
        Last edited by Qyd; 3 May 2003, 01:35 PM.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2003

I tried muxing AC3 VBR and CBR MP3 and ogg and they all did the same thing. I am going to stick to AVI until they can make a final release.

I set GK up for a 2 CD project and it only came out 1130 I wonder why.

Comment

• ChristianHJW
            matroska project member
            • May 2003

Were you trying to add more audio streams to an existing matroska video file ? If so, there is a bug in current VdubMod ( memory leak ) that will eat up all your memory when trying to process a MKV file. Its fixed in next release, to be here this week even ...
            Support the future of audio and video encoding, matroska as open standard container format and Gstreamer as open source, x-platform multimedia platform - Contact us on Corecodec, the concentric circles of audio and video, or on IRC.CORECODEC.COM #matroska ; for best viewing matroska file use The Core Media Player ( TCMP )

Comment

• SKD_Tech
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Jan 2003

Cool. Hey do you have any updates about the Matroska container?

Comment

• ChristianHJW
                matroska project member
                • May 2003

Originally posted by SKD_Tech Cool. Hey do you have any updates about the Matroska container?
                In fact, we just released the latest version of our DirectShow filter ( 0.4.3 ), read my other announcement here in this forum.

Also, we are planning a new major release for the next weekend, including :

- A new VirtualdubMod, with resolved memory leak bug ( now you can read/process/transmux big MKV files without running out of memory ), DTS parsing/muxing, handling of 'unknown' streams ( even for editing ), etc. pp

- avs2matroska from DaveEL, creating MKV files from AVISynth scripts, using xvid.dll instaed of the VCM codec, so that 'native' MPEG4 MKV files are created with correct b-frames handling ( no dummy frames or other hacks )

- new version of mkvmerge.exe with file splitting

- new matroska shell extension, allowing tagging files and reading MKV file info from Windows Explorer

- a modified version of ffdshow ( hopefully milan will help us ) that will be necessary to play native MPEG4 files

- aspect ratio correction is working now with the lastest DShow filter and newest ffdshow dated 23rd May, in every Dshow based player, not only TCMP

Is that enough for this week ?
                Support the future of audio and video encoding, matroska as open standard container format and Gstreamer as open source, x-platform multimedia platform - Contact us on Corecodec, the concentric circles of audio and video, or on IRC.CORECODEC.COM #matroska ; for best viewing matroska file use The Core Media Player ( TCMP )

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Jan 2003

Sounds good. I am about to do another test here pretty soon

Comment

Working...