Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mattiacci
    • May 2003

Video Capture Question

Does anyone know the best (which usually mean cheapest) way to capture progressive-scan video onto a computer?

I need something with component video inputs or something, so I can get nice (640x480 at least) video and not have to deal with scan lines or de-interlacing.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
  • rsquirell
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Feb 2003

Let me show my ignorance by asking you how you define "progressive scan"...are you talking about capturing TV shows or digital camera thru the firewire or VHS tapes thru the USB or parallel ports? What do you mean by "scan lines"? Are they the lines on the top and bottom of the screens and the bars on the sides you get from VCR capture because the heads have to be mounted at angles to each other which throws the noise of the video into the paremeters?

Comment

• Mattiacci
      • May 2003

I'm sorry...I wasn't referring to TV broadcasts or VHS tapes. I'm talking about DVD-quality video, or video that would come off a progressive-scan compatible video game system. You know, where instead of the image being displayed in two fields, it displays the whole image every frame?

Thanks.

Comment

• Mattiacci
        • May 2003

Wow...so nobody can help me.

Comment

• rsquirell
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Feb 2003

Well...analog VCR's (and VHS) are limited by design to 352X240 so even capture devices with higher resolution are limited by their source. The Dazzle DVC-150 is an external USB2 device that captures at 720X480 with bitrates as high as 8000kbps. I've never tried using it to capture from a source higher than 352X240, so I don't know that it'll work for your application. It'll accept input from S-Video as well as composite...but don't know how you intend to feed your video in. You probably need a DV 1394 product for what you are trying to do...and I am unfamiliar with those...so I'll just be quiet and let more knowledgeable folks direct you.

Comment

• Comberman
            Platinum Member
            Platinum Member
            • Aug 2002

Progressive scan is used on digital or high-definition TVs (HDTV) which get their picture via back-projection. Ordinary (analogue) TV systems will not correctly cope with HDTV progressive scan video (which basically smoothes out the jagged edges one oftens sees in long distance shots that have been digitised). You could try capturing from a projector. I'm not really sure if a 1394 connection would do the job. Sorry I can't be of more help.
            Genius creates what it must; talent creates what it can.

Comment

• Mattiacci
              • May 2003

Thanks.

I found a few capture cards and whatnot that'll let me do it. Nothing is under $795. Ouch.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

To Mattiacci

A decent video card with video-in capability should cost you from $100-$200. It doesn't have to be the "latest and greatest".

I'd suggest that you do a little more research...

(You might try GOOGLEGEAR.COM for starters)

Comment

• kimomakano
                  Platinum Member
                  Platinum Member
                  • Jun 2002

I have an ATI All-In-Wonder 128 Pro card that I got for about $75 a year or so ago and it works pretty well for analog capture. I do not use the software that came with it though, I now use Virtual Dub to capture the video.

Comment

• Comberman
                    Platinum Member
                    Platinum Member
                    • Aug 2002

I think this thread is moving away from its original meaning. Mattiacci wanted to capture "progressive scan" video, which is used predominantly on back-projected, home entertainment systems. It is not interlaced the way ordinary TV (analogue) video is: you could say that it is a pure representation similar to the image produced by "common or garden" desktop scanners - no lines; no jagged edges even when viewing distant objects moving or otherwise. You can buy decoders but they are expensive. If you use a normally accepted analogue capture device you would be generating interlaced video. Photoshop has a somewhat crude filter which will simulate progressive scan in captured stills and it does it by swapping fields, pixels and making a few assumptions (that aren't always correct.
                    Genius creates what it must; talent creates what it can.

Comment

• Mattiacci
                      • May 2003

Thanks Comberman, you're right. Those analog capture cards don't do anything for me - that defeats the whole purpose. Apparently, there aren't many people who do what I'm trying to. Ah well. If anyone out there does, I'd love to hear from him/her.

Comment

• setarip
                        Retired
                        • Dec 2001

To Mattiacci

The following link appears to provide information about a setup for capturing PROGRESSIVE source material - for less than $100:

Synchrotech manufactures, distributes, and supports PCMCIA, PC Card, ExpressCard, Memory Cards, FireWire, USB, PCIe, and X25 technologies.

Be good enough to post back here if this satisfies your needs or, if not, why not...

Comment

• Mattiacci
                          • May 2003

Thanks for that link, it seems like a pretty decent video capture device. But, sadly, I don't think it captures progressive video, since the only inputs are RCA and S-Video, neither of which allow for such things.

It also states that you can "Capture, edit and produce videos on your computer at resolutions up to 352 x 288dpi and 30 frames per second. " I'm looking for 640x480+...

Again, thank you for trying - it's nice to know there are people who want to help.

Comment

• setarip
                            Retired
                            • Dec 2001

"I don't think it captures progressive video"

If you're correct, then Belkin is generating misleading advertising. I provided you with that link specifically because, if you've read it, it states that it allows you to capture from a progressive source...

As far as the resolution being inadequate for your purposes, I'd suggest that you simply do a Google search (as I did) for (Include the quotes) "capture" AND "progressive video" (all on one line).

There's no way the LOW price for such hardware would be anywhere near $795US...

Comment

• Mattiacci
                              • May 2003

I've done several searches, and it seems to be that way. However, I have found a way that might be cheaper. While it won't give me the same quality, I could send the Monitor Out video on my TV to a DV camera, then use a DV capture card to import it onto my computer.

It'll record in 720x480, which is definitely good enough. I still can't get truly progressive video, but it does seem to remove many of the problems I've had to deal with. Now, to find a decent-but-inexpensive DV camera...

Comment

Working...