X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2smooth4u
    • May 2003

Video-to-DVD converter

Hi all,

I'm new to all this, so please bear with me. I found a product on QVC that says it allows you to copy VHS home movies from your camcorder to DVD's, provided you have a DVD burner (which I do). What I'd like to know is whether or not I could put a copyrighted VHS movie into my camcorder and copy it to DVD. And if so, can I get a full length movie on one disc, and will it look any better or worse? If anyone has used anything like this, please let me know if it was worthwhile! Thanks.
  • SKD_Tech
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2003

If at all possible I would get away from spending money and capture it from TV with a lossless codec then convert it to a DVD format file and burn it that way.

Comment

• rsquirell
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Feb 2003

"Copywrited VHS Tape"...gee, you wouldn't be a troll for the movie industry, would you. We're into backing up our purchased VHS movies and VCR tapes around here.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"whether or not I could put a copyrighted VHS movie into my camcorder and copy it to DVD"

You'll discover that most commercial VHS tapes include Macrovision protection. Copying such tapes directly will result in a copy that, when viewed, will make your eyes ache as the brightness constantly increase and decreases (Or, you'll see a thick white band across the middle of the image)...

Comment

• rsquirell
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Feb 2003

Could macrovision be defeated by making a VHS copy of a Blockbuster video and then taking that copy into the PC (for academic discussion, of course.) Seems I know a friend who's been doing that for years. When did they start with the Macrovision?

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

To rsquirell

Shame on you! How totally hypocritical!

Read your two posts to this thread...

I believe Macrovision was initially instituted on VHS tapes and VCRs around 1982...

Comment

• rsquirell
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Feb 2003

LOL...got me. If macrovision has been out that long I'm surprised my friend has never seen it. Could that be because he was playing the tape on a built-in VRC and copying to a camcorder thru the TV's video/audio out?

Comment

• The Edge
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Jan 2003

I believe Macrovision was initially instituted on VHS tapes and VCRs around 1982...
                Geezzz......that far back....
                "…I know the industry is formally opposed to that kind of thing [bootlegging] but I'm not. I don't have a problem with it at all." -- Paul McGuiness"

Comment

• rsquirell
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Feb 2003

2smooth...there are all kinds of video capture devices and cards out there. What you are looking for is one that will bring your capture in at the highest possible resolution and bit rate to get as close to "lossless" quality capture as possible. I'm limited by notebook to having to use an external device to do this (if you can open your box there are numerous internal card options.) I've found (externally) that the Dazzle DVC-150 (720X480) fed thru a USB2 port at a bitrate of 8000kbps gives you near lossless capture. The bundled software sucks...but there are plenty of work-arounds...and I'll put my finished MPEG2's up against any made by internal cards. It costs around $200USD.
                  Last edited by rsquirell; 16 May 2003, 12:07 AM.

Comment

• LENJDORR
                    • May 2003

rsquirell:

What software did you use with the Dazzle 150?

Comment

• rsquirell
                      Digital Video Master
                      Digital Video Master
                      • Feb 2003

TMPGenc

Comment

Working...