Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sarugaki
    • Jan 2002

video capture

Just got my Radeon 64mb DDR VIVO up and running . Installed ATI MultiMedia Center 7.1 and tried to capture some video. They have several codecs to choose from. I've experimented with mpeg-2 and divx(fast/slow motion).
    The concern I have is what codecs provides the most acceptable results. I've used the divx and mpeg-2 and both are good enough to watch, but the file size is huge (10 min capture 275mb) I had the video down to 320x240, 23.9fps and 29.97fps, divxMPEG-4 Low Motion, Audio=44.1khz 16bit stereo....at those settings I get about 28mins worth of record time on a drive with 7gb available. This was a good quality capture but larger than I expected. I remember watching some Seinfeld episodes that were roughly 35mb for a 21-25 min show. Can't find out the specific settings on them files, any suggestions?
    Is there a better way to do this? What about Virtual Dub? Any specific settings I should try?

Appreciate any hints,tips or suggestions

acmumph
  • Thrawn
    • Jan 2002

are your files audio-compressed with mp3? if your files have PCM compression, your files will get very big. To use mp3 compression along with capturing u need to install the radium mp3 codec (think u will be able to find it on these pages)

which prog do u use? i use freevcr to record as avi (Mpeg4 v1/v2, mostly with 1800 kb/sec) with mp3 audio compression (128kb/sec, 44100 Hz) and always have good results.
    The Grandadmiral was here!

Comment

• sarugaki
      • Jan 2002

No i wasn't using audio compression. I just inslalled the radium mp3 codec...also got freevcr installed. when i chose mpeg layer 3 as the audio format, i get an error "can't open audio compression stream" when i press record. lets me choose other formats. what is divx audio?

Appreciate your help

Comment

• Thrawn
        • Jan 2002

very strange that thing

i had some similar prob once and found, that somehow a pro version (demo version) has been installed of mp3 codec.
        check this by getting to system infos (where u deinstall software ...), go to audio/multimedia, go to "hardware", search in the list for audiocodecs and check them. if u find a mp3 pro version delete it. be sure to find the "normal" mp3 codec by fraunhofer.
        The Grandadmiral was here!

Comment

• Enigma
          • Dec 2001

Ati VIVO

Hi,

I also have the ATI 64Mb DDR VIVO and am unimpressed with this card.

I had to rebuild with MMC version 7.0 to resolve the macrovision issue with the card scrambling video when i thought it detected macrovision protection, all very well but it also kicked in from a normal video camera.

Now i am having a problem where the capture software stops capturing when the capture file reaches 4GB in size, the temp file gets bigger and bigger and then when you end the capture it deletes the file and then looses the whole capture session. This is a hang over from FAT which had a file size limit of 4GB, NTFS was better with a file size limit of 32GB and NTFS5 (which i use) has a limit of the size of the partition.

A soloution i have fouind is use a different capture app, if anyone knows of a good one that will capture straight to MPEG or DIVX i would aprechiate it, or i am going to buy a Hauppauge WinTV PVR (USB), but i think the res on this is'nt that good.

Enigma

Comment

Working...