Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sirTemplar
    • May 2003

avi and ac3 files

i have recently ripped a film (vob files) using DVD2AVI_176 using these options:

channel format: dolby digital
    dolby digital: decode checked
    dolby sourronf downmix: checked
    compressor: DivX Pro 5.0.3 Codec

it came up with two output files:

an avi file, that is about 573MB
    and an ac3 file, that is 1,12 GB

the avi file is playable with DivX player but no sound!

i used HeadAC3He to change the format of the ac3 file into wav so that i can code it using TMGEnc.

the output file is now more that a GB with sound but not playable anymore using DiVX but windows media player.

now the question.

1) is it possible to join the avi and ac3 files and still be playable using DivX? Can I still make the filesize smaller? how?

thanks for good souls willing to help!

ciao!
  • ChristianHJW
    matroska project member
    • May 2003

Even at the highest bitrate for AC, being 640 kbps ( normally 384 or 448 ) you couldn't end up with an AC3 file of 1.12 GB, unless the movie was 4 - 5 hours.

I assume you have a DTS audio file here, that was demuxed by DVD2AVI and given an .ac3 extension, while its not. If so, try to select another audio stream from the many on your DVD, or better even use the 'demux all' function to find your AC3 file in your language. A normal file size should be 250 - 450 MB.

Then use VirtualdubMod ( http://sf.net/projects/virtualdubmod ) and mux your AC3 either into OGM or matroska, but dont use old AVI anymore, it suxx meanwhile ...
    Support the future of audio and video encoding, matroska as open standard container format and Gstreamer as open source, x-platform multimedia platform - Contact us on Corecodec, the concentric circles of audio and video, or on IRC.CORECODEC.COM #matroska ; for best viewing matroska file use The Core Media Player ( TCMP )

Comment

• inhomepcservice
      just wanna help
      • Oct 2005

avi's with ac3 & dts

Hello I have approx 300 avi's on my system at presant all muxed with ac3 or dts all high quality and vary from 1.3 to 2.5 gig average 1.7 gig
      just follow these steps and your home and hosed
      1 Use dvdx to create your avi with audio set to export ac3.This will create an avi with no sound and ac3 in a separate file.
      2 use smart ripper to extract the dts sound track .I use ver 2.41 .you will find the dts track on the stream processing tab.It will say sdds this is the dts track then select demux to extra file.
      3 use VirtualDubMod version 1.5.4.0 to multiplex the 2 files together
      Just select direct stream copy in video tab.then streams & stream list to select the ac3 or dts track. then just hit f7 to save the file.
      4 paste & register these 3 files to your system32 folder.
      iviaudio.ax ver 3.1.58.5 intervideo decoder
      avi2ac3filter.ax ver 1.0.0.0 AVI <-> AC3/DTS Converter by gabest
      avi2ac3dts.ax
      To do this at the dos prompt type
      cd c:\ enter
      cd windows enter
      cd system32 enter
      Then type regsvr32 iviaudio.ax enter
      regsvr32 avi2ac3filter.ax enter
      regsvr32 avi2ac3dts.ax enter
      after each one you should get the message dllregisterserver in "filename" succeed.
      5 install win dvd & run a dvd to set audio to spdif
      6 optional you can install power dvd but win dvd must be on your system aswell.
      7 set your sound card to spdif and disable ac3 procesing.
      And thats all you should now have an avi with ac3 or dts sent to your external digital amplifier
      Note if you want the sound to play through your stereo sound blasters use iviaudio.ax ver 6.0.6.56

<!-- / message -->

Comment

Working...