Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DallasHeel
    • May 2003

Newby question about burning DVDs

I need help! I just bought a new Sony Vaio laptop that comes with a DVD +/- R/RW drive. I have never done any DVD burning before so I have been trying to do some research on the web to see if I can figure out what the heck I'm doing.

I guess my question is this, do these systems normally come with the software that is required. I have seen so much downloadable software out there that I am beginning to wonder if I have everything. My laptop did come with software loaded for DVDs but with all the information out there I have gotten a little confused on what all I need. I want to be able to make back-ups of DVDs, burn new DVDs from my backups, create DVDs from digital camera footage, etc. Any direction or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!
  • DallasHeel
    • May 2003

Sorry, all. Should have posted this in the beginner's forum. Didn't see it right away....

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

What software came with the DVD burner installed in your laptop?

Comment

• DallasHeel
        • May 2003

I have WinDVD4 for playing, Sony's MovieShaker, DVGate, Adobe Premier 6 LE and Screenblast. I went through those and didn't see anything that looked to me like an application for ripping DVDs. I don't know what the current laws are on that. I would imagine it is still legal to copy DVDs for personal use. Isn't it just the distribution of copyrighted material that is illegal?
        Last edited by DallasHeel; 2 Jun 2003, 04:33 AM.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

According to Sony:

"Sony also includes Windows XP Home edition, Word 2002 and a bunch of very cool digital and video authoring programs. You can customize your VAIO for various hard disk sizes and CD/DVD burner speeds.

This includes Sony’s new “Click to DVD” software that enables you to easily burn your movies to DVD as well as to easily create digital slide shows. Click to DVD’s manual mode enables you to edit together video clips, still images, and music, complete with chapter menus for easy DVD navigation. The auto function is designed to let you quickly and easily burn DV footage from a DV camcorder directly to a DVD or CD."

Comment

Working...